6 weeks and won't leave brooder

Becks Chicks

Songster
Jun 3, 2022
Southwest WA
I have 6 week pullets that are in the brooder inside the coop. I have 2 escape doors that are always open and the pullets won't leave the brooder. I've had 2 instances where my Spitzhauben and another small hen fit through the escape doors and they mingled peacefully inside the brooder with the pullets. They've been inside the brooder inside the run for 5 weeks so plenty of time for everyone to get used to each other.

I'm leaving for a trip in a week and I'd like to remove the brooder. The heat was removed two weeks ago. Does it happen often that pullets won't leave the brooder? My last batch loved being out of the brooder in the run.

I have 6 week pullets that are in the brooder inside the coop. I have 2 escape doors that are always open and the pullets won't leave the brooder. I've had 2 instances where my Spitzhauben and another small hen fit through the escape doors and they mingled peacefully inside the brooder with the pullets. They've been inside the brooder inside the run for 5 weeks so plenty of time for everyone to get used to each other.

I'm leaving for a trip in a week and I'd like to remove the brooder. The heat was removed two weeks ago. Does it happen often that pullets won't leave the brooder? My last batch loved being out of the brooder in the run.
Mine didn't want to leave, either, though they'd used the escape doors on occasion. I made a "cave" and lots of obstacles on the back side of the hoop coop. Then I removed everything from the brooder except the chicks. Once everything was in place I evicted the 5 week old chicks from the brooder, placing them under the "cave" so they'd know where to hide. Then I removed the brooder. I did this on my day off so I could keep an eye on the results.

There was some drama, but no blood, no injuries. The Dominiques still get chased but not as frequently, and they're starting to stand up to the 12 week old Sussex.

IMG_20230520_163532055~2.jpg

A more detailed description of the process is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...to-flock-at-4-weeks-old.1159151/post-26859213

Sometimes they need to be kicked out to get the hint. Chickens are afraid of change, young chicks especially so because the world is still new and scary to them. You may need to just take the brooder away. Leave food and water where the brooder used to be, though, because they are used to going there to eat and drink. And have multiple food and water stations scattered around in general, so they can easily eat and drink somewhere without being chased away by the older chickens.

This is my 3rd time raising form day 1 in the coop brooder & my 6 are 6 weeks old & still spending more time in the brooder than I think the last two have. It could be because they are outnumbered 13-6 while my last two groups were pretty even. I should be breaking down the brooder soon. I may have to rehome my 3 -2 & 1/2 year old Wyandottes & my 2 broody 1 year old Welbars that are gumming up the works.

Sometimes they need to be kicked out to get the hint.
Yep.
I usually close the coop, while the older birds are all outside, and chase the chicks out of the tiny doors then back in. Once I built a mesh barrier outside the tiny doors so they could practice going in and out the doors without being harassed by the older birds.

Thanks, everyone. I'm moving them out today after work. I have a 3 day weekend so can keep a close eye on them. I only have 1 hen that I'm concerned about. Her name is Chippy. She's been mean from day 1 and has a pinless peeper, but still goes after everyone. I really should cull her. She's been on death row for awhile. I hoped she'd mellow out with age.

Back
Top Bottom