6 year old hen in good form

silverback

Songster
12 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Just wanted to shout out my 6 year old hen, Floppy, a Black Star (sex link) who started laying again after her winter molt. Two days in a row so far. Last year she laid beautifully for months with one 18 day streak. She is a star! Anyone else have older hens still laying regularly?

My 5 year old black sex link just started laying 2 days ago. She is the first to lay in the spring and usually the last to quit.

Like you, I thought it was pretty terrific when my six-year old Brahma hen laid several eggs coming out of winter break.

Then I had two Wyandottes who were seven years old last year lay regularly through spring into summer. This year they are both back on the nest again squirting out eggs at nearly eight years old.

First of all, Floppy is a pretty great name for a chicken!!
lau.gif
I thought I was being clever with my girl, Waffles, but I love Floppy too.

Second, that is awesome! My oldest hens are 10 months but I dread the thought of non-productivity. Your story gives me some hope :)

Update: my other 6 year old hen started laying and has laid 3 days straight! So now I have two 6 year olds laying regularly. I have four 2 year old hens and only one of them is laying again this spring. Age and experience are a good thing!

Back
Top Bottom