6mo old silkies. Hen or roo? Helllppp

ConejoChickens

Hatching
Dec 17, 2023
Hi all. We’re pretty new to chicken keeping. We’ve got a small backyard flock of 5. (Including 2 silkies)
They’re around 6months old.
They’re a couple weeks apart in age (maybe 3) but have pretty different looks and came from different breeders.

So, I’m thinking one hen and one roo.

What do y’all think?
Ovb no crowing or laying yet.

First 5 photos are of what I suspect is our roo. Last 3 show both of them and the differences between them.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_7151.jpeg
    IMG_7151.jpeg
    647.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7155.jpeg
    IMG_7155.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7156.jpeg
    IMG_7156.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7157.jpeg
    IMG_7157.jpeg
    618 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7159.jpeg
    IMG_7159.jpeg
    576.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7162.jpeg
    IMG_7162.jpeg
    775 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7163.jpeg
    IMG_7163.jpeg
    688.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7167.jpeg
    IMG_7167.jpeg
    498.3 KB · Views: 31
Hi all. We’re pretty new to chicken keeping. We’ve got a small backyard flock of 5. (Including 2 silkies)
They’re a couple weeks apart in age (maybe 3) but have pretty different looks and came from different breeders.

What do y’all think?

First 5 photos are of what I suspect is our roo. Last 3 show both of them and the differences between them.

Thanks in advance!!
My silkie hen looks very much like the second one, so I'm guessing it's a hen there. I'm guessing the first one is a roo, the wing feathers look "sharper" and it's got a larger comb.

I think you have a pair. I'm looking at the tail feathers of the one you suspect to be a cockerel, and they look like typical sickle feathers that males get.
Wellll darn. :/
Wondering if I try to find him a new home now, or wait till he crows to make sure.
Thanks for everybodies input.

Looking at your silkie it looks like a girl. Male silkies will have longer feathers on their head and their comb (which is that wired mass on their face) will be larger! I only have one silkie and hes a boy, but from what i can tell you have a hen

What do y’all think?

Thanks in advance!!

Looking at your silkie it looks like a girl. Male silkies will have longer feathers on their head and their comb (which is that wired mass on their face) will be larger! I only have one silkie and hes a boy, but from what i can tell you have a hen
There’s two silkies in these photos.
I think the later photos are of the hen, but I was thinking the first photos are the roo.
is that what you’re saying?

Back
Top Bottom