6th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2015 Hatch-A-Long

I have a very lonely, loud chick chirping away in the brooder and no sign of movement or hatching from the remaining two eggs. I'm still crossing all fingers and toes in hopes that at least one of them hatch.
fl.gif

So my next question as a back up plan...where are good places to get 1-5 chicks ASAP? Local AGWAY does have chicks, but they are too old to put with my brand new little bantam chick.

My last Marans egg hatched (100%) incubator hatch, and it was a total surprise!
ep.gif
The chick is either a throw back or my BW Ameraucana rooster got to my GCM hens! It is mostly yellow. Pretty sure it is a rooster by his head type. Maybe tomorrow I will get some pictures posted of all 9 chicks.

I have four australorps out and one more has a pip. Much better than I thought I would have when my DW called and said the bottom of the box was soggy....

Three of them are blue!

I am "Tired"! Please go away!

Catching some ZZZZZ!

The Eagle has landed!

I will have to send her to Hollywood, & hence, I will become on of those obnoxious stage moms!

Well got home a got the chores done. Went to the incubator and started counting my chickens. At least I waited until they hatched.

Pulled out 60 so far. Still had several trying to hatch.

Had to take pictures in sections couldn't find anything bug enough to put them in to get the group picture. I'm not sure if they can even be count in the pictures but I know how many I put I. Each one. I don't figure I'm up for any prizes on the contests anyway. I do want to say though I have had a lot if fun anyway. Good friends and comradirery (spelling).

Oh yeah last years baby was a momma this New Years. I know because she is tha only rose combed chicken on the place a several had rosé combs.

24 in this picture.

12 in each photo in the bottom three picture.

This cannot be it! I wanted silkies! I will wait till Sunday but I don't have much hope.
1f622.png

Love my broody hens!! I notice when I approach my broodies during incubation they do a low growling sound. When I approach once a chick has hatched they make a different sound, more of a deep coo as a warning to the chick to hush. Yours may not make any noise but you can try to listen and see if she does. You don't want to lift her if it is cold where she is sitting. A pipped or zipping egg could get chilled. I don't like bothering my first time mommas because if they get agitated, they can squirm and possibly step on a chick or egg that is hatching. I have a couple that have been hatching chicks for three years now and I know I can lift them to check on progress.
fl.gif
That all of your eggs hatch!
Thanks, she did seem to make a slightly different noise when I checked her earlier. She is a tough one, a mean, growling, fast moving, snippy, Ill eat your hand if you get an inch closer kind of broody
th.gif

I have some chickens that go broody here that are just the best and let me do what I need to do with the broody its self as well as the eggs or chicks. This broody Silkie is a tough one.

Took this a little bit earlier today when there were 18 in the brooder. There are like 21 now. a couple others in the bator drying off, one that has pipped and the beak is showing and two I'm not quite ready to give up on since there is still very visible veining, but i have a feeling they may have died today and it's just a matter of time for that to show. I had 5 that I pulled showing no signs of life. one tried to pip and missed the air sac and drowned, yolk nearly fully absorbed. 2 appear to have died just after lockdown and 2 died in the last day or so.

So far 2 silkie 1 Moran mix/ moran. One chick pass I have 2 silkie under hen, and 3 in the incubator unsure
Fingers crossed you get more to hatch
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
Let me know how the rest of the hatch goes.

I don't know what mix this chick is, but it sure is cute! Chick on the left.

And for ALL THE MANY CHICK PICS I quoted above ITS BECAUSE I LOVE THEM
love.gif
And CONGRATS ON ALL YOUR HATCHES!!!!!

OH, ok and thanks for the reminder! What is the deadline for pictures? I may have to wait until tomorrow. We are having a storm here.

Get the pictures posted when you can! The deadline is when we are through hatching--I am still hatching and will likely not be finished until Sunday. I will finish up the contests next week.

Well got home a got the chores done. Went to the incubator and started counting my chickens. At least I waited until they hatched.

Pulled out 60 so far. Still had several trying to hatch.

Had to take pictures in sections couldn't find anything bug enough to put them in to get the group picture. I'm not sure if they can even be count in the pictures but I know how many I put I. Each one. I don't figure I'm up for any prizes on the contests anyway. I do want to say though I have had a lot if fun anyway. Good friends and comradirery (spelling).

Oh yeah last years baby was a momma this New Years. I know because she is tha only rose combed chicken on the place a several had rosé combs.

24 in this picture.

12 in each photo in the bottom three picture.

Really nice. Now may I ask, what are you going to do with all of those chickens? I wish I had a place to keep a lot of chickens. Yep. :p

Having troube trying to get my pics posted. All ten that pipped have now hatched and are in brooder. Did eggtopsy on the one that did not pip. Not sure why it quit after lockdown not malformed at all. 10 out of 16 set is much better than my first hatch. I'm happy with it. Thank you all. It has been a fun experience.

Likewise! Fun to get to know a few folks that I didn't. Happy you did well with this hatch.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom