7/12 Roof Pitch

Treerooted

Crowing
Dec 19, 2016
ON, Canada
I just need some confirmation.

Is a 7/12 roof pitch fine? It will be a metal roof.
(This will be the main section of a Woods-style like coop)

I keep coming across 3/12 or 4/12 minimums, but are there any serious negatives to something higher?

I do live where there is snow and wind.

Thanks in advance

7/12 is awfully steep. I used a 5/12 pitch for the back part under the monitor roof and 3/12 pitch for the front part under the scratch shed. BTW, those are pretty much "by the book"......as in by the plans in Woods book. I would not do them any different than 5/12 and 3/12. If you are seriously concerned about snow load, you can double up the rafters, make them 12" or 16" on center or go larger like 2x6, etc.

And if this is a metal roof, be sure to include some type of insulation under it to control condensation. Products the industry uses are various types of bubble wrap.

Last edited:
Thanks guys
I've got most of your posts bookmarked I think, having scoured through BYC for coop info over the last few months (thanks by the way for providing so much insight)

So I know it's not standard, really I was just trying to figure out if there was any good reasoning behind not using a steeper roof.
I understand for a Woods design specifically this might impact air flow a bit? My coop will not be a perfect Woods design regardless as I will have an attached shed space.
But would there be any other good reasons?

(I wasn't able to download the link @jthornton on another thread you posted but I'll try again (on my phone currently) and I do have the free book "open air coop houses" sorry can't remember the title)

(I wasn't able to download the link @jthornton on another thread you posted but I'll try again (on my phone currently) and I do have the free book "open air coop houses" sorry can't remember the title)

That might be the same book. The very first time I posted a link I changed the name of the pdf shortly after and changed the link... The name of Prince T. Woods book is The Modern Fresh Air Poultry House. I cleaned up the images and converted them to a PDF for everyone here.

JT

Back
Top Bottom