7 week chick laid eggs - see pic

Could one of the adults got in there a few days ago and laid it but the chicks kicked it up when scratching around? I get fart eggs all the time from the same hen (she's old, egg factory now has a permanent hiccup)

my hens never lay anywhere but the coop in their boxes. And none of my hens lay an egg that dark. No one else here but me so no april fools joke.

I cracked it open and there was something that looked like a yolk. It was all smushed because it was hard to crack...the membrane was really tough.

Havent seen another one and didnt really expect to.

But hey - 2 years ago I was the one that had the four legged chick so who knows. She lived about 8 months and laid a giant egg. Then died the following day.

I agree they are way too young. Could one of your older hens laid it before they were locked up? Sure that there was nothing in the nest boxes before they were locked up? We have had a few " fart" eggs like that before. But 7 weeks old is still way to young, those breeds are not early layers.

I don't know how your chicken coop is set up but my guess is a wild bird got in there and laid an egg for you. I get that alot here. All my girls lay blue eggs and every once in a while I will get either a tan spotted tiny egg or a dark spotted tiny egg. The size is about right for a wild bird too.

Lanae

Thank the gods there is someone else out there with freak of nature birds! I have six 8 week old chicks and at LEAST two of them are already laying. I don't have the foggiest clue HOW they're doing it, but they are. Two of the chicks are americaunas, so I know it's not them, then we have two RIRs and two SL Wyandottes. My best guess is that they're from the Reds.

The one on top is from one of my older hens. She is the only mature hen we have that lays tan eggs, and I KNOW she did not pop out any more than two eggs in one day. The little eggs are even exactly where the chicks nest inside the coop. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's the Reds, but regardless, I'm putting a **** nannycam in there. >.>

(And no, they are not wind eggs, trust me, so don't even bother offering that up as an explanation.)

Hello,

That is very interesting.

My assumptions would be one of the other chickens laid it earlier and you might have not spotted it.

Because if a chick at 7 weeks is laying eggs, It's something with the chicks genetics which someone may be

quite interested in examing the genes.

Well best of luck!

Regards

Can you update me on this please??? Did you ever find out who laid it? I have two 7 week old silkies and just found a tiny inch long brown egg in beside them, I thought it was impossible so I've searched the web to see if I can find any similar stories.......

Back
Top Bottom