7 week polish sexing

SummerW

Chirping
May 3, 2020
Hi! I'm growing really attached to this super sweet polish chick but will have to rehome if it's a rooster. Is it still too early to tell? Thanks for any guesses.
20220422_093934.jpg
20220422_093310.jpg

I am following this because we have two straight run buff laced polish that are 5 weeks old with similar crests.

I’m no expert (by far! I’ve had one other Polish!), but I have noticed in my searches that the laced varieties do have more mohawk like crests before it rounds out (female) or gets pointier (male). (Whereas the white crested and possibly other varieties, get rounder crests a week or two earlier; this was the case with our white crested black chick last year too.)

It seems that we should know by 10 weeks old though. (12 at the latest) So I guess we keep on waiting.

I don’t see wattle development or redness where the v comb will be, so that’s in favor of a pullet. But again, it seems that the laced varieties developed wattles & combs later too.

Any chest bumping or male type behavior?

I am following this because we have two straight run buff laced polish that are 5 weeks old with similar crests.

I’m no expert (by far! I’ve had one other Polish!), but I have noticed in my searches that the laced varieties do have more mohawk like crests before it rounds out (female) or gets pointier (male). (Whereas the white crested and possibly other varieties, get rounder crests a week or two earlier; this was the case with our white crested black chick last year too.)

It seems that we should know by 10 weeks old though. (12 at the latest) So I guess we keep on waiting.

I don’t see wattle development or redness where the v comb will be, so that’s in favor of a pullet. But again, it seems that the laced varieties developed wattles & combs later too.

Any chest bumping or male type behavior?
You are so right!
I've been comparing with so many other polish and mine doesn't have the sleek crest I see on a lot of hens, or the wild crest of a lot of roosters. This chick has the most curious personality of my 5 chicks but I haven't seen any rooster aggression or dominance
20220428_093043.jpg
20220428_093034.jpg
yet. Here is a picture from today, I'm just as uncertain as I was a week ago.

You are so right!
I've been comparing with so many other polish and mine doesn't have the sleek crest I see on a lot of hens, or the wild crest of a lot of roosters. This chick has the most curious personality of my 5 chicks but I haven't seen any rooster aggression or dominanceView attachment 3083006View attachment 3083008 yet. Here is a picture from today, I'm just as uncertain as I was a week ago.
Have you come any closer to figuring out if your Polish is a he or a she?

Hi! I'm growing really attached to this super sweet polish chick but will have to rehome if it's a rooster. Is it still too early to tell? Thanks for any guesses. View attachment 3073953View attachment 3073961
Did this chick end up being a rooster or a hen? I have two 7 week old Polish that are both supposed to be pullets. The buff seems to have some questionable qualities tho.

Attachments

• IMG_2392.jpeg
    IMG_2392.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2389.jpeg
    IMG_2389.jpeg
    565.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom