7 weeks old now, still 3 girls, 2 boys??

@JedJackson @Rhodebar Lover Thank you for your thoughts!

Number 4 is a strange one for sure. It certainly doesn't appear cockerel like in its behaviour but that comb and wattles screams cockerel I know. I think it will have me wondering for a while, especially when comparing to the colour of the comb of 2 and 5

Is there something else in 4 and Eggbert that you see that make you say only 1 and 3 are pullets?

Not questioning you! Just trying to learn. I really hope 1 and 3 are girls. I love the colouring of the brown one.
The big indicator is comb and wattle size and patchiness of color especially on the shoulders! :)

@Rhodebar Lover Thanks so much. I didnt know to consider shoulder feathers!

May help in seeing how Eggbert develops in comparison to the other 3 barred ones if they are all boys.

They all have a few bluey/green feathers coming through. I assume from their Rhode Rock mums that you can see in this pic. #4 has by far the most of these feathers so far.

Attachments

• 20221104_145808.jpg
    20221104_145808.jpg
    864 KB · Views: 5
9 weeks old now, photo from today. Hoping these are my 3 girls (Eggbert, #1 and #3)

One of the barred cockerels has started to grow brown feathers all around the head, getting more certain #4 is also male now but not 100% sure yet.

Attachments

• 20221112_114517.jpg
    20221112_114517.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
All three of those are pullets.
Thanks. I'm really glad to hear that about Eggbert. Bonded with that wee chick when we had step in a couple of times and rescue it! We splinted it's toes at a day old and had to give lots of TLC at about 5 days old when it got its head stuck in the fence for a full day!

Thanks. I'm really glad to hear that about Eggbert. Bonded with that wee chick when we had step in a couple of times and rescue it! We splinted it's toes at a day old and had to give lots of TLC at about 5 days old when it got its head stuck in the fence for a full day!
That's above and beyond. Hope she lays lots of eggs for you in return.

That's above and beyond. Hope she lays lots of eggs for you in return.
Yeah - I almost gave up at one point and thought that I was battling a lost cause.

We treated it in the house twice and put straight back out with the brood every time. I think it was being back with Mum and the flock that had the most benefit.

Fighting fit now and a normal chicken, just a touch smaller than the others!

Started off life like this! Amazing what a bit of cardboard and sellotape did!

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20221112-213203.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221112-213203.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 4
  • VideoCapture_20221112-213300.jpg
    VideoCapture_20221112-213300.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 4
Yeah - I almost gave up at one point and thought that I was battling a lost cause.

We treated it in the house twice and put straight back out with the brood every time. I think it was being back with Mum and the flock that had the most benefit.

Fighting fit now and a normal chicken, just a touch smaller than the others!

Started off life like this! Amazing what a bit of cardboard and sellotape did!
Wow, she really was in rough shape. Looks great now, though.

Back
Top Bottom