8/9 weeks.. Hen or Rooster?

kada6305

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Kersey, Pennsylvania
Lucky will be 9 week son Monday. Hen or Rooster? I have gotten people say both..

0.jpg

I've gotten a lot of people tell me hen this time around on some FB groups. This was what they said about being hen : Pullet for all the same reasons listed above, her hackles are rounded not pin like, her saddle feathers are "missing" also no sickle tail feathers.

Guess we'll find out if it crows or lays an egg. If Lucky is a rooster then he will be going to freezer camp.

Those pointy feathers you are talking about dont come in until around 12-14 weeks olds, so he wouldnt have them yet. His comb is as big as some of my year old hens' combs, you wont be getting eggs from him, sorry.

Last edited:
Those pointy feathers you are talking about dont come in until around 12-14 weeks olds, so he wouldnt have them yet. His comb is as big as some of my year old hens' combs, you wont be getting eggs from him, sorry.

X 2 - the saddle/hackle feathers do not show gender typing just yet, so being rounded means nothing and does not counter the other signs that all point to cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom