8 month old pullet with cracked beak

CathyB59

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 21, 2011
SE Montana
One of my 8 month old barred rock pullets has a cracked top beak. The crack is from the tip up the middle and is maybe 1/8 inch long. She seems to be eating okay and is alert. I'm afraid to trim it with a nail clipper for fear I'll make it crack more. I saw on an old link to put a cuttlebone or mineral block in the coop so she can rub her beak on it but that may have been a suggestion for parakeets and cockateils. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

and then put a pad of bricks or a cement stepping stone in there. I drop some grain on it to encourage them to use it. Mine filed his split beak down on his own like this.
sharon

Hhhhmmmmm.....the bricks/cement stones is a good idea. I think I'll try that. Thanks.
hugs.gif

I had the same problem with some of my Serama babies.. their beaks were overgrown an splitting at the end so I took a nail file an filed their beaks down some.

I suddenly realized yesterday that I have a Pedi-Paws for filing my dog's nails. 2 of the pullets have cracked beaks now, so I'm going to try filing their beaks today. I'll keep you posted.

fl.gif

The Pedi-Paws worked! I had to clip a couple of loose pieces off their beaks, but the filing did the trick - no more cracked beaks.
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom