8 week old beloved polish frizzle cant walk or balance

Heathbelle

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2023
Hi chick experts,
I'm really worried as a first time chick owner. I've done everything right that i can think of, but a week ago, my polish started walking wobbly with wings down for balance. I rang up my breeder who said to put her on amprolium. shes so weak. its been 4 days on it and she's worse. takes a few wobbly steps to the food or drink bowl and sits down to eat or drink. i have to also feed her on my lap as she's not getting enough and is a bit skinnier than her sibling.
there's never been any blood in her or others' poop. all other 5 chicks are completely fine. could this be bacterial instead? should I give her CCC? (broad spectrum antibiotics i'm told). I can't afford a vet but I don't want to lose her as she's our pet.
thanks for advice x

Just vitamin deficiency, likely not an infection. Don't give antibiotics unless you can confirm an infection
Give 400 i.u vitamin E and a sliver of b complex every day for a few weeks. Or nutri drench.

Just vitamin deficiency, likely not an infection. Don't give antibiotics unless you can confirm an infection
Give 400 i.u vitamin E and a sliver of b complex every day for a few weeks. Or nutri drench.
Oh I see. Ok, thanks. good idea not to medicate if not sure of an infection.
I'm not sure we have nutri drench in Australia but will ask for the equivalent. Its weird as they're all eating the same food which is a top brand from a show breeder. hmm

Oh I see. Ok, thanks. good idea not to medicate if not sure of an infection.
I'm not sure we have nutri drench in Australia but will ask for the equivalent. Its weird as they're all eating the same food which is a top brand from a show breeder. hmm
Polishes and silkies are prone to vitamin deficiency. Baby vitamins work too

Oh ok then. looking at some other posts on wobbly legs, i believe it will definitely be best to boost with the vitamins thanks. other polish has sneezed a bit and has watery poop but otherwise being a normal chicken. Ps. just found our chook place does Avi-Vital full of those vits so i'l grab some.
Thanks

Last edited:
if i can do an update...
my 9 wk polish frizzle is still lame 2 weeks later after vitamins and hand feeding/watering her. i ended up taking her to a chook vet who rules out mareks and parasites, doesnt really know what else it is. giving her some anti-inflammatories as her joints stiff from not using. i'm moving them for her. now one of her eyes wont open and she has a rattly breathing but otherwise happy to eat and cheep and desperatley trying to preen herself and get up but i can see she's frustrated so i move her around a bit. also did an epsom bath (mainly to wash her bum feathers) but her poop still completely normal.
i don't know what to do... i can't cull her while she still loves her food and cheeps and trills

if i can do an update...
my 9 wk polish frizzle is still lame 2 weeks later after vitamins and hand feeding/watering her. i ended up taking her to a chook vet who rules out mareks and parasites, doesnt really know what else it is. giving her some anti-inflammatories as her joints stiff from not using. i'm moving them for her. now one of her eyes wont open and she has a rattly breathing but otherwise happy to eat and cheep and desperatley trying to preen herself and get up but i can see she's frustrated so i move her around a bit. also did an epsom bath (mainly to wash her bum feathers) but her poop still completely normal.
i don't know what to do... i can't cull her while she still loves her food and cheeps and trills
I'm sorry to hear that, what disease of vitamins are you giving? Polishes are prone to neurological issues from their vaulted skulls, it might get worse as she gets bigger, it might not.

I'm sorry to hear that, what disease of vitamins are you giving? Polishes are prone to neurological issues from their vaulted skulls, it might get worse as she gets bigger, it might not.
i'm giving Avi-vital from my local chook supplier. full of B's, some D, E, minerals, probiotics etc..
strangely enough, as i've given her nutritional yeast, she's actually trying to get up and rolling around, so i'm helping her legs to push against me to strengthen. i think she'll make it if i keep going! also, her closed eye was 1/2 open yesterday and fully open this morn yay🙏
my other polish started showing signs of off balance and i got her onto the vits straight away this time and she's fine, so you were right-a deficiency. going to get fresh feed too.
Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom