8-Week-Old Chicks - Ready to Remove Heat?

KappyFlock

Songster
Jul 16, 2022
SE Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I know this is an often discussed topic but I'm a first-time chick momma and still need some hand-holding please.

Our chicks are 8 weeks old. When we got them about 7 weeks ago (so about a week old), we put them straight in the coop. When they were ready, a few weeks later I think, we gave them access to the run and they're now happily going in and out.

All this time the heat plate has been in the corner of the coop. They ignore it during the day, but at night they sleep around it. I don't know if this is out of habit, since they started out sleeping under it, or because it's cozy, or both.

I know people remove the heat with even younger chicks, but our Michigan weather is getting colder now. Do they still need it? Or is the heat actually harming them by preventing them from becoming cold weather tolerant?

Even if I turn off the heat plate, should I leave it in there for a few days to wean them off its comfort?

We don't have high roost bars in the coop yet, but for naps sometimes they rest on some shorter branches (maybe 4-5" high) that have been in there for weeks. Is it time to build the roost bar and poop tray? I am super excited about the poop tray. haha I'm planning to fill it with PDZ so I can scoop that poop easily!

I know this is an often discussed topic but I'm a first-time chick momma and still need some hand-holding please.

Our chicks are 8 weeks old. When we got them about 7 weeks ago (so about a week old), we put them straight in the coop. When they were ready, a few weeks later I think, we gave them access to the run and they're now happily going in and out.

All this time the heat plate has been in the corner of the coop. They ignore it during the day, but at night they sleep around it. I don't know if this is out of habit, since they started out sleeping under it, or because it's cozy, or both.

I know people remove the heat with even younger chicks, but our Michigan weather is getting colder now. Do they still need it? Or is the heat actually harming them by preventing them from becoming cold weather tolerant?

Even if I turn off the heat plate, should I leave it in there for a few days to wean them off its comfort?

We don't have high roost bars in the coop yet, but for naps sometimes they rest on some shorter branches (maybe 4-5" high) that have been in there for weeks. Is it time to build the roost bar and poop tray? I am super excited about the poop tray. haha I'm planning to fill it with PDZ so I can scoop that poop easily!
What's PDZ? 🤔

This depends on weather and chicks feathers. Are they feathered out? My chicks are usually off heat by 6 weeks old but we live in Florida and thats during spring/summer. Try turning it off and watch their behavior.

Back
Top Bottom