8 weeks old, I need help sexing please

spankyleatherlips

Songster
12 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Dillsboro, IN
I am picking 4 of my 10 chicks to take out to the farm. They were day old when I bought them and they are in separate pens outside. I need to cull the herd soon and wanted advise. I know for a fact one BO is a roo. But can you help me guess the others? Whether they are roo or pullet, I still need to re-home 4 as they will be overcrowding their pens shortly.
49946_chickens_at_8_weeks_013.jpg

SLW and RIR roos?
49946_chickens_at_8_weeks_017.jpg

RIR hen?
49946_chickens_at_8_weeks_020.jpg

SLW hen?
49946_chickens_at_8_weeks_021.jpg

SLW on the plank Roo?
49946_chickens_at_8_weeks_022.jpg

RIR roo?

I am guessing because of the tail feather shape and size of the birds. I looked closely at the comb colors as well. I am keeping the BR's as I know they are pullets. Not all the of my chicks are pictured, just the ones I was wondering about.

Any help would be appreciated.

The RIR in the first pic is questionable, but I'd still stick with a pullet. Does it stand taller, or more horizantal like the RIR in the second pic. (Which is probably a pullet) RIR roos usually developy huge combs, FAST. For the SLW, they look "iffy". We need more frontal and maybe some back pics to be sure.

I'm not so sure you can tell sex on a SLW by just the comb. I would have guessed them both to be pullets. The slw rooster I had at the age your's are now, was tall and narrow in body and besides the comb, he had huge wattles. It was an obvious difference.

I have some rose combed SLW and a couple with single combs that are so large, they flop over. And those girls are laying machines! Their combs were always pretty big.

Here's a pic. I took it today of her with her new back protector. The rooster was already after her today and made it slide back a bit! Good grief! She really is his fav.
The one next to her is a Black sex link, also a hen with a huge comb-over! lol I thought for sure she was a rooster, but she was a sex link, so I had to go by that. And sure enough, she's a hen!

100_2472.jpg

Back
Top Bottom