8wk Old Runty Cochin - Cockerel or Pullet?

Reyvaughn

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania
This is Dino... Or Dina?
I was thinking girl, but since this one's always been runty, I am not sure.
It's getting red in the wattles and some pink in the comb. My two other
Pullets are still totally colorless and wattleless.

I am assuming Cockerel.
Shame if it's a he... He's a red w/ some mottling.
Not that I need another project...​

Pullet. It looks just like my standard red Cochins from Ideal. My rooster (hatched last spring) had comb and wattles twice that size that were bright red by 4 weeks.

Yeah, I thought pullet, too. But at 8wks, should there be any red in the wattles? And, like I said, it is runty? It's only 2/3 the size of everyone else. My other girls have no wattles or color at all. I mean at all.

Cockeral. I see the beginnings of pointy saddle and hackle feathers. In the first pic, right over the tail, there is one darker feather that is pointy. In the second picture, the hackle feathers that are catching the sun/glare are pointy.

Pointy = cockeral.

Cockeral. I see the beginnings of pointy saddle and hackle feathers. In the first pic, right over the tail, there is one darker feather that is pointy. In the second picture, the hackle feathers that are catching the sun/glare are pointy.

Pointy = cockeral.

I thought the hackles were getting pointy. The saddle feathers were iffy to me.

Yes, it looks like he's going to darken too. If he's unthrifty I wouldn't want to use him to start a project, tempting though it might be.
th.gif

Here are a couple of head shots of my girls. They have the same body shape as yours too. They're LF though, so I don't know if that makes a difference. One has some patchy redder spots, but I'm pretty confident they're both girls. They also both have a pretty glossy sheen to their feathers when the sun hits them. I believe mine are about 6 weeks old now.
photobucket-1568-1331901536555.jpg

photobucket-2814-1331901665763.jpg

Back
Top Bottom