A big white bird flying by night?!

Flock Leader

Songster
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Israel
My husband got up in the middle of last night, to the sounds of chickens clucking like mad and the dog barking her head off. He got out into the yard and saw a white bird, about the size of a medium chicken, perched on a pole. As soon as my husband attempted to get close, it flew off.

What do you think that was, and what should we do about it, if anything? My only possible guess is an albino owl (we're much too far south to suspect a snowy owl...). Any other guesses?

My husband got up in the middle of last night, to the sounds of chickens clucking like mad and the dog barking her head off. He got out into the yard and saw a white bird, about the size of a medium chicken, perched on a pole. As soon as my husband attempted to get close, it flew off.

What do you think that was, and what should we do about it, if anything? My only possible guess is an albino owl (we're much too far south to suspect a snowy owl...). Any other guesses?
Well, way down here in So. Cal. I see white owls almost every night. I believe this is what he saw;

This is a common Barn Owl, they can be close to all white, but will look totally white at night while they're out hunting...

Well, way down here in So. Cal. I see white owls almost every night. I believe this is what he saw;

This is a common Barn Owl, they can be close to all white, but will look totally white at night while they're out hunting...
Thanks a lot, I checked and yes, it's very possible we have these in our area! I know they are after small rodents; we have loads of mice in the barn, they go after what's left of the chickens' grain, so this might explain the owl's presence. If it just wants to hunt mice, that's great and I don't mind if it sets residence here - question is, do I have to worry about my chicks?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, I checked and yes, it's very possible we have these in our area! I know they are after small rodents; we have loads of mice in the barn, they go after what's left of the chickens' grain, so this might explain the owl's presence. If it just wants to hunt mice, that's great and I don't mind if it sets residence here - question is, do I have to worry about my chicks?
Yes, absolutely!

I have seen many different animals skeletons in their droppings, and they do eat whatever they can catch. If they can catch a pigeon and eat it, then they could do the same with a grown chicken.
A predator is still a predator....

I lost some mature Bantam Cochin hens to an owl (I suspect a Barred Owl, though I don't know for sure). The owls are very welcome to all the rodents they can catch here, but it's up to me to make sure their menu doesn't include my rabbits and chickens!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom