A Canada goose bred my Sebastopol!

sryglet

Chirping
May 18, 2015
I live near a large lake, but not near enough that my ducks and lone goose ever go there. So, the other day, I heard a ruckus outside and saw a huge Canada goose chasing my Sebastopol, Lucy, around the yard. It took off when it saw me. A few weeks later, Lucy started sitting on a nest of six duck eggs and two of her own eggs - I'd been removing hers (almost) daily. Today, I cracked open one of Lucy's eggs (I found it buried in bedding nowhere near her nest) to find a ton of veins! That Canada goose is the only gander she's ever had contact with!!! I'm kicking myself for taking her eggs!

So, any Canada goose x domestic goose crosses out there? What do sebbie crosses look like - are they ever curly? If either of her eggs hatch, are they going to be super mean? Haha

Last edited:
Canada geese are not mean, you should have some wonderful goslings from the cross. If you have any extra eggs from the cross I would be happy to buy them for hatching

Please don't send them out into the wild they will be part domesticated and most likely have a hard time.And Canada geese aren't mean but they are very protective of their mates nest and goslings, and humans make them that way when they are cruel to them.

Oh don't worry I don't mean to send them into the wild, I just meant I don't want them flying away!

I am unsure if there are restrictions on crosses. most happen at parks naturally. I think since they wouldnt be able to fly if the seb was the main characteristic in the goose. since she owns the seb I dont think they could place any laws against her owning the young ones herself. since in my state all Migratory birds are considered protected and need a permit to own. or proof of it being produced in captivity which is accompanied with the permit when a seller sells a bird to another. but to be sure its safe to say call local dnr on the matter.

I love your post.

I live on a lake and many Canada geese are here. My Toulouse girl kayaks with me every day and wanders around the yard. She looks at the wild geese on the lake and they look at her but I have never seen one land and she has never shown any interest in going to them. Maybe one day one of those handsome fellows will have his way with her. But, like you, we use the eggs so I may never know.

alright finally my goose has hatched some eggs. and I am pretty sure I finally got a canada goose /touluse or pilgrim hybrid I think the female is a pilgim but not sure. when i got her from a efowl hatchery they were out of touluse and were not yet selling pilgrims. so eh not sure what she is but she mates with my canada goose. so heres one of her babies cant wait to see what it looks like full grown.

I have no idea but I'm actually curious of what it would actually look like! Oh and the babies most likely won't be able to fly.

Yeah, Lucy's wings don't hardly have flight feathers, so I imagine that the babies won't seem too wild. It's probably a good thing - I don't want to be sending a bunch of hybridized geese out into the wild!

Back
Top Bottom