A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Look at these clodhopper feet!
20190803_121639.jpg

All I can say is WOW! I'm thrilled that injuries were minor and all turned out ok.:hugs
They are just lucky they could reach someone - and didn't drift/float so far that they reached one of the bigger dams. THAT might have been an issue. I would have had to call for a real "water rescue". But, all in all, sorta (pointing fingers at this word) glad they still had fun and are not afraid to go out again. And I do say that with "some" reservations.

I'd like to think my kids are smart but there are ..... days.

Dang, these aren't great. My helper was in a hurry. But note the mottleds redder head, little waddle & snood. Miss Iris barely has a snood and no waddle. Oddly this bird will "fan" its tail and no displaying that I've seen. View attachment 1866909
That is a hen sized wattle and a hen sized snood. It is either a hen or too soon to tell. I really think it is a hen.

This is a tom sized wattle.
full

Last edited:
Well, the past two weeks have not been......good. I think some of it can be attributed to the notion of it being a "comedy of errors".

First (and required turkey talk), I lost all five of Goldie's poults - 3 from heat and 2 now mysteriously missing. No bodies, no feathers, no nothing.

My youngest daughter had to go to the hospital and I went along for moral support. On the way back from filling prescriptions and to drop her off at her vehicle, a caliper seized up on my old Dodge pickup. Believe me, this is never a good thing.

Then, while trying to determine my best course of action, my son calls. He needs help cause he's stuck on the Potomac River with 9 other family members, including 5 of my grandchildren. And it's getting dark. So, priorities change and my daughter and I head out to do a "water rescue", leaving the truck behind.

Where the group is located happens to be in the middle of bumf**k Egypt. The only roads available to get to them are dirt and narrower than the vehicle I am in. Filled with boulders, washouts, streams that had to be forded, and far too many up and down cliffsides - and I do not do well with heights.

Cell service was all but non-existent and in some places - there was no signal whatsoever. Once in a while, we could send a text - like about warning them that copperheads were out in full force on the river banks and aggressive due to the mating season here (I think). Anyway, we saw tons of them.

By then, it was pitch black out and one road we went down dead-ended where there were a bunch of people. Think of the movie "Wrong Turn". However, they turned out to be friendly (and safe!) and were able to guide my daughter to the river which was now 1/4 mile away, but where she spotted our missing group. A lot of Morse code then issued (actually just flashing lights at each other).

It took another hour to navigate to the next "landing" and where my son and grandson, having gotten off the river, were walking on the C&O canal towpath trying to find us. On the way to the towpath in the dark, my son managed to fall down a mountain, so he was limping pretty good by the time we picked them up.

Then, it was on to the now targeted landing located another 1/2 mile away. There, my son, daughter, and grandson attempted to start a fire to guide the rest of the river idiots to the landing. They gathered enough tree limbs, leaves and paper trash to start a small fire. And, at which point, my daughter managed to fall off the cement dock. With all the cement "road rash", other abrasions, a broken toe, and a good-sized gash on her knee - well, she would have made any biker proud.

After leaving the grandson there with the fire and a phone flashlight, we left to get a couple of vehicles to transport everyone after they are out of the river. It was only 13 miles - but 50 more minutes one way. You just can't get far going 5 mph. We started around 6 pm and it was 3 am before everyone was safe and back "home".

And that's when the well at my house finally died. No water. On a Saturday night. I about lost it.
:he :he:th:barnie:he :he

The well finally was fixed yesterday. A dozen or more cracked and broken wires along 125 feet. (sigh) Son is outside right now putting new calipers and brakes on my truck. I'm sitting in here with my own broken toe (another story) and keeping all digits minus one - crossed and hoping there are no more "surprises" today.
:fl

On a better note, the little poults in here are growing and one is even displaying. HOPE it's a BOY!!

View attachment 1866765
View attachment 1866778

wow, what a crazy adventure! I would've lost my mind by the end of that day and probably panicked and had a heart attack. Glad everything mostly worked out in the end!

Dang, these aren't great. My helper was in a hurry. But note the mottleds redder head, little waddle & snood. Miss Iris barely has a snood and no waddle. Oddly this bird will "fan" its tail and no displaying that I've seen. View attachment 1866909

I don't know....I think she looks girly....

Daisy got another invitation to one of the neighborhood kids 7th birthday party. Oh boy! Talked to the mom....just a small family gathering. Plus a few kids. Daisy will love it! They are picking us up in their golf cart! Told the mom Daisy can come for a little bit but don't have any food out until she leaves. Don't need her diving into the kids cake. And believe me....she would. Party next weekend....will be giving her a bath prior. I'll get her all glammed up.

Back
Top Bottom