A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

So. Maybe if i actually type this my hen will stop layin for winter? Yes! I have a turk hen that is still giving me an egg every second or third day...but mostly every second. and it is mid dec peoples. Weird bird! There is no extra lightin up the hill and it is dark by 5pm now.

Also. On the oct hatch... we sold ten poults. Kept two. One went diving and the one leftover.... a cute lil jenny yay!
I can’t wait until mine starts laying!

Here they are from this morning.Belle is so hard to get a pic of she just keeps eating she followed me all the way to the gate tho and did a bunch of little squawks I wonder what she was saying hehe.

I also am making my way through the posts but I had a question. Do they absolutely NEED roosts. I don’t have any in their coop. Wilson jumped on top of the fence once but it was before Belle was there and it was getting dark and I think he got nervous I wasn’t coming. I read the females roost more. I am planning on building one but I just wanted to wait until the snow melts and I can find some trees easily without digging lol.

Attachments

• E77F0732-A46C-4692-90D4-0B3C4104EA32.jpeg
    E77F0732-A46C-4692-90D4-0B3C4104EA32.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 0F9981F3-001F-4252-83EC-CCCB95107630.jpeg
    0F9981F3-001F-4252-83EC-CCCB95107630.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 258B548F-BF4F-475E-88F3-FF8B7463E3B1.jpeg
    258B548F-BF4F-475E-88F3-FF8B7463E3B1.jpeg
    534.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Turkeys don't like sleeping on the floor, because they feel vulnerable to predators. Make sure whatever roost you choose are wide enough, at least 2x4 with the 4" side up. This lets them get a good grip and lets their breast feathers cover their toes comfortably without the feathers being compressed by sitting on the ground... It's warmer to roost than sitting on the ground because of how feathers insulate by trapping air layers. Eventually, if their wings aren't clipped, they will roost wherever is both highest and most comfortable, but especially highest, whether you want them there or not. Mine prefer 20 feet up in the rafters of the hay barn, on the exposed beams.

I can’t wait until mine starts laying!

Here they are from this morning.Belle is so hard to get a pic of she just keeps eating she followed me all the way to the gate tho and did a bunch of little squawks I wonder what she was saying hehe.

I also am making my way through the posts but I had a question. Do they absolutely NEED roosts. I don’t have any in their coop. Wilson jumped on top of the fence once but it was before Belle was there and it was getting dark and I think he got nervous I wasn’t coming. I read the females roost more. I am planning on building one but I just wanted to wait until the snow melts and I can find some trees easily without digging lol.

Roosting is their natural instinct. I think that without roosts in your coop, they will eventually start looking for somewhere else to sleep instead. Here's mine. Its just a converted old shed. Poults and hens absolutely love the swing. I've only ever seen very young toms use it. I think they get too big.

IMG_20180215_200354.jpg

Today is day 2 of working 4am-1pm.... It's very rough. I was falling asleep in the living room by 7 last night and could lay down and pass out right here in the break room lol. I work these hours tomorrow too but then I'll get a day off. I actually have another interview scheduled on Thursday morning at a Semi-local Napa distribution center. It's a little further away but pays a little better and is full time. That's the one I really wanted so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works out. For now, I'm going to try to stay awake. DH has been handling pretty much all of my flock chores. I'm not sure yet if he's enjoying it at all lol

Back
Top Bottom