A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Haha ya I got one barn cat and 3 power plant garbage kittens who snuggle me so I guess it’s fine lol. I’m a dog person too havent had a cat since I was 8!

Haha so high maintenance! Also tiramisu is my fav:drool

So my girl has been relentless today since the moment she got up. Walked her back in the run 5 times picked her up two times. As soon as I get back to the porch she’s up on the fence and out oh well the princess wins! The snow is almost all melted so she wants to explore she hasn’t gone more than 10 ft from the run though so whatever I just keep checking on her to make sure she’s ok. I can’t be mad at her she’s just too cute. Lots of things to hop up on in case of danger. I worry about dogs more. Neighbors don’t have any but I saw a hunting dog running at the edge of the property does anyone know if they always soft mouth or will they attack a bird?

Since there are dogs, you prolly want to keep her in. Is the top of your fence hard and delineated? I mean, does it have a top rail? If it does, she’ll jump up to that solid rail and out. If you have wooden posts that are taller than the wire, they’ll land on those and then out. If it’s just floppy wire, they may not be as interested. You might consider adding a foot or two of fencing above what you have and leaving it soft and floppy.

Otherwise, if that isn’t going to or hasn’t helped, you could get some game bird netting to go over the top.

Looks like we're going to get some snow and ice :/ The snow is no big deal. It's supposed to start soon but I'll be on my way to work when it starts up so the roads shouldn't really have a chance to get bad yet. My car is a tank anyway lol. The ice though is what I'm concerned about. Hopefully out won't be too much. That junk is supposed to start this evening and in to tomorrow morning. DS has a swim meet tonight so he won't be home till late and I have to work in the morning. I'm ok in the snow.... but driving in the ice is a completely different monster.

Looks like we're going to get some snow and ice :/ The snow is no big deal. It's supposed to start soon but I'll be on my way to work when it starts up so the roads shouldn't really have a chance to get bad yet. My car is a tank anyway lol. The ice though is what I'm concerned about. Hopefully out won't be too much. That junk is supposed to start this evening and in to tomorrow morning. DS has a swim meet tonight so he won't be home till late and I have to work in the morning. I'm ok in the snow.... but driving in the ice is a completely different monster.
Aurora - careful out there. Already a couple inches on the ground here and our forecast has changed and added more snow. 28 degrees at the moment - silent night out. (well, except for the excitable roosters).

Since there are dogs, you prolly want to keep her in. Is the top of your fence hard and delineated? I mean, does it have a top rail? If it does, she’ll jump up to that solid rail and out. If you have wooden posts that are taller than the wire, they’ll land on those and then out. If it’s just floppy wire, they may not be as interested. You might consider adding a foot or two of fencing above what you have and leaving it soft and floppy.

Otherwise, if that isn’t going to or hasn’t helped, you could get some game bird netting to go over the top.

Only the gate part is solid at the top the rest extends up and is floppy wire so she’s not interested in on just over. But! Kinda good news she got her courage up and jumped over from the ground! So I just watched her outside closely since I knew she was out and then I looked back and she was back in! So I think any sign of real danger she’d jump back in!
I also think Memphis was right I went and hung out with her outside and gave her some attention and then realized one of my little bantams and rooster have scaly leg mites urghhhhh! So I had to leave her and treat them.
Also there’s really not dogs I just saw one once haha but I like to be careful I’ve been walking hoping I’ll see him again so I can tell his owner to mindful of my babies.
Netting would be best but the run is 60ft by 60 so it is quite a lot to cover

Raining here. Hate you may get ice. It's scary.
Philly....glad she figured out how to jump back in the pen. Hopefully the dog wandered on to greener pastures. Turkeys are social and nosey....let her help you do your chores! Mine love it when I'm putzing around.

Cindy....those Highland have to be the cutest bovine ever!! I forget you had them!!

Only the gate part is solid at the top the rest extends up and is floppy wire so she’s not interested in on just over. But! Kinda good news she got her courage up and jumped over from the ground! So I just watched her outside closely since I knew she was out and then I looked back and she was back in! So I think any sign of real danger she’d jump back in!
I also think Memphis was right I went and hung out with her outside and gave her some attention and then realized one of my little bantams and rooster have scaly leg mites urghhhhh! So I had to leave her and treat them.
Also there’s really not dogs I just saw one once haha but I like to be careful I’ve been walking hoping I’ll see him again so I can tell his owner to mindful of my babies.
Netting would be best but the run is 60ft by 60 so it is quite a lot to cover

You could buy bird netting for that for under 50 bucks.

It only takes one aerial attack to make you realize it’s needed. Also it assures the birds stay inside and can’t be ambushed..

The pieces are 50x50, but I have never found them to be exact or square. You would need to splice two pieces together to cover 60x60 but that’s easy to do. Just use cable ties or string.

The left over has lots of uses too. It lasts quite a while I am still using some that’s 6 years old. So less than 10 bucks a year to keep the birds safe and contained.
3018A19A-278F-4788-94BE-C8C382C4BB29.jpeg

You could buy bird netting for that for under 50 bucks.

It only takes one aerial attack to make you realize it’s needed. Also it assures the birds stay inside and can’t be ambushed..

The pieces are 50x50, but I have never found them to be exact or square. You would need to splice two pieces together to cover 60x60 but that’s easy to do. Just use cable ties or string.

The left over has lots of uses too. It lasts quite a while I am still using some that’s 6 years old. So less than 10 bucks a year to keep the birds safe and contained.View attachment 1982377
Ya that’s true.. we don’t have any posts in the middle but we can stretch it over tight. There’s lots for them to hide under but it does still worry me.

I make a tee post or two out of 2x4s to peak the netting like a tent. Does not take much. Without it the netting would sag. Just make a X base for the tent pole... the weight of the net should hold it upright if it’s frozen and you can’t dig a post hole.
Plus, if you wait just a very little while, the X will freeze itself to the ground.
upload_2019-12-16_9-38-5.gif

Back
Top Bottom