A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

They look like regular Slates with barred flight feathers. If I were you I would be checking my state laws regarding the possession of a wild turkey.
Technically the hen is the one in possession. Until you put the poult in a pen, you haven't possessed it. Maybe she will raise it and it will go back to the wild like mine did. If not, it may linger around the property but it isn't a crime. Just don't put the poult in a pen.

Please - someone w more experience correct me if I’m wrong!
But my understanding of mink/ weasel kills is that they tend to bite the back of the skull / neck and the kills can be (somewhat) identified by the close spacing of the canine teeth - mink/ weasels have a smaller mouth than opossums / raccoons.
But. Based on my research (I do have some weasels here but
-knocking on wood-
they have not managed to get into my coops 🤞😬)
....the weasels/ mink tend to go for the head/ brain and leave most of the rest of the bird intact. And you will often have several/ heavy losses, if that is the predator that made its way into your coop.

Based on what you are reporting..... I’m thinking that the mink happened upon a kill and tried to take advantage of the situation. They don’t tend to do the type of damage that your bird had.... The “feathers around” sounds more like a raptor kill- hawk, eagle, ...maybe owl. but most likely a hawk.
They are more prone to pull feathers and then tear up their kill.

It’s - possible - that it was a raccoon (possum, skunk) but. Those critters tend to drag the birds away (esp coons) and you will just find someone missing- esp a youngster :/

A raccoon will grab one and take it right over the fence, even if you only have a small hole in any cover / top netting that you might have.

So. Do you have a cover over your run to keep the predatory birds out?

The mink also now knows there may be a meal source there... so. Do you have a secure coop adjacent to their run?
Mink -tend- to be most active at dawn and dusk. If you have a secure coop, you may want to consider letting them out a little later in the morning, and putting them to bed a bit before dusk.

....they are very savvy. Keep trying with the traps.
Or. If you have the “constitution” and are in and area where you can, I might just put some raw chicken out and wait with a shotgun to take care of the (secondary?) predator quickly and humanely.

If your run isn’t covered, I’d suggest pulling netting over the top.

Also, what type of fencing do you have on the run?
How is your coop set up?

Technically the hen is the one in possession. Until you put the poult in a pen, you haven't possessed it. Maybe she will raise it and it will go back to the wild like mine did. If not, it may linger around the property but it isn't a crime. Just don't put the poult in a pen.
Depends on which state you are in. Each state has its own regulations.

I guess I'm not allowed to eat this one.
Check your state laws. I bought a couple of turkey licenses when one of the wild hens brought her two juvenile toms here with her in the fall. I don't mind the wild hens showing up but I don't want the wild toms around having the opportunity to breed my hens.

Years ago there was a person posting in the Guinea Fowl forum who had her guinea hen come home with keets and a poult.

Check your state laws. I bought a couple of turkey licenses when one of the wild hens brought her two juvenile toms here with her in the fall. I don't mind the wild hens showing up but I don't want the wild toms around having the opportunity to breed my hens.

Years ago there was a person posting in the Guinea Fowl forum who had her guinea hen come home with keets and a poult.
Poults will pretty much follow just about anything, won't they?

This is what I found from here:
"There is nothing illegal about selling or purchasing domestic poultry sold as wild turkeys. However, it is not legal to release wild turkeys that have been domestically reared..."

This is what I found from here:
"There is nothing illegal about selling or purchasing domestic poultry sold as wild turkeys. However, it is not legal to release wild turkeys that have been domestically reared..."
That is not applicable to your situation. You have to look through the game & fish laws for your state. The fastest way to find out the regulations is to call your local game & fish warden or DNR agent.

It also contains false information about domestic turkeys not being able to survive in the in the wild. They are a lot more capable of surviving in the wild than that person gives them credit for.

Please - someone w more experience correct me if I’m wrong!
But my understanding of mink/ weasel kills is that they tend to bite the back of the skull / neck and the kills can be (somewhat) identified by the close spacing of the canine teeth - mink/ weasels have a smaller mouth than opossums / raccoons.
But. Based on my research (I do have some weasels here but
-knocking on wood-
they have not managed to get into my coops 🤞😬)
....the weasels/ mink tend to go for the head/ brain and leave most of the rest of the bird intact. And you will often have several/ heavy losses, if that is the predator that made its way into your coop.

Based on what you are reporting..... I’m thinking that the mink happened upon a kill and tried to take advantage of the situation. They don’t tend to do the type of damage that your bird had.... The “feathers around” sounds more like a raptor kill- hawk, eagle, ...maybe owl. but most likely a hawk.
They are more prone to pull feathers and then tear up their kill.

It’s - possible - that it was a raccoon (possum, skunk) but. Those critters tend to drag the birds away (esp coons) and you will just find someone missing- esp a youngster :/

A raccoon will grab one and take it right over the fence, even if you only have a small hole in any cover / top netting that you might have.

So. Do you have a cover over your run to keep the predatory birds out?

The mink also now knows there may be a meal source there... so. Do you have a secure coop adjacent to their run?
Mink -tend- to be most active at dawn and dusk. If you have a secure coop, you may want to consider letting them out a little later in the morning, and putting them to bed a bit before dusk.

....they are very savvy. Keep trying with the traps.
Or. If you have the “constitution” and are in and area where you can, I might just put some raw chicken out and wait with a shotgun to take care of the (secondary?) predator quickly and humanely.

If your run isn’t covered, I’d suggest pulling netting over the top.

Also, what type of fencing do you have on the run?
How is your coop set up?
yes thats how they kill, but they kill everything they can and try to cache their kills for later. this one was trying to get it out and ripping off as it tried to pull it. this was around 2pm on a sunny day. Usually the hawk and owl kills have the neck feathers ripped off. or the neck up is missing. This one was very fresh and little damage to the neck except the base. I put her in a box trap and nothing went after her, caught the mink one night and a weasel the next 10 ft way, Caught another weasel this morning.
I have sat out over bait, but since I have long covid that's not feasible any more.
I have box traps out and in cooler weather have poultry parts, catch opossums and some of the racoons... haven't been tripped and meat missing, 2 of the 3 box traps a weasel could get out of. . So they seem to prefer live. catch lots of racoons with mini marshmallows and dog proof traps
My poultry yard is about 150 ft by 600ft, west side is 6ft tall field fencing with 2x4 holes. other sides are mainly 4ft e net. there's dz of trees in and around the yard. The birds have room to run so its hard for a predator to get more than one, except for broody hens.
I have one 8x24ft and three 8x8ft cattle panel hoop coops covered in 1/2 in hwc and 2x4 field fencing,

I found that clipping once after they are mature was enough. By the time their flight feathers grew back they had forgotten they could fly. The following generations almost never got their wingd clipped.
I'm hoping that's the case with mine. The Royal Palm Tom I have has been in a pen his whole life and I don't think he would fly if he didnt have a clipped wing. I clipped his wing when he first got here as a precaution but it doesnt seem like it was necessary. He still sleeps on the ground under the hydrangea.

Back
Top Bottom