A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Just for hunting I use kill cones for my processing.
I want a method where I can be hands off the bird if possible and let my husband dispatch them by himself. I don't want to see it happen. I'm a big softie and the same way with my chickens. But once they're dead I can butcher them no problem.

My kill cone is chicken size. Maybe a 5 gallon bucket with a hole cut in the bottom for the head? I haven't gotten around to buying a turkey cone.

At about 4 yards the turkey shot groups close. And a head shot leaves no pellets in the meat.

I shoot them on the back of the head with a .22 revolver while holding them by their legs. After convulsions stop, I remove the head with a hatchet.
Both sound pretty efficient to me. :D

Thats y they get along with no troubles he is so submissive by the sounds of things. Never to challenge accepts his place.
Yeah that's how he is. Doesn't try to challenge the other toms. I have him and the red sweetgrass in with my goats and LGDs. The pups are doing very well with the turkeys now. I know it sounds harsh, but they're purpose right now is training my pups. They are extras and if an accident happened I could spare them. The dogs haven't harmed a feather on them and accept them as part of the flock to guard. My old Pyrenees keeps them in line for the most part.

Screenshot_20240216_204213_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240216_204335_Gallery.jpg

They are coming along to be good LGDs. Already barking and guarding. They bed down with the goats and listen pretty well for pups. I'm very happy with them. They are smart dogs. Their names are Laurel and Naomi.

Whatever works for your personal preferences as long as it's as quick and humane as possible for the bird or whatever you may be processing, I'm good with it. Just always glad to see folks still doing it for themselves.
 We are going to figure out what method works best for us. I will let you all know how it goes when the time comes. The kill cone works well for our chickens. But them big tom turkeys can pack a wallop with their wings. The bucket method may work, mounted to the chicken house like our kill cone. Its tom turkey size. I only suggested the 12 Guage option so I didn't have to participate. Hubby's the dispatcher, Im the butcher. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom