A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Well duluthralphie, the only thing I can think of is to throw out what its telling you the humidity is... Mine was telling me it was running 10% in the incubator but the air cells were telling me something different, I no longer use one at all for incubation, I do put it in at Lockdown and if it says 65-68 I know I am good (it is more than likely wrong, but that's when I get my best hatch rates so I go with it)
Also, I know the digital little giants I bought weren't keeping accurate temps, I took mine back. My sis lives in Oklahoma and she cant seem to get about a 60% hatch rate using the little giant.. I try and walk her thru different fixes and it had gone up a bit ( from about 40%) but still nowhere that she feels good about.. Its frustrating to be so vigilant and on the ball only to have them die in the shell the last couple days..
hit.gif

I am by no means an expert and there are so many more on here that are way more experienced and will tell you to disregard what I have said, but for me it works.

When I was using my hova bators I put some not much water in the tray then I added two containers with a lid and holes in it filled with water and two wet sponges to get the humitity up to 60% and I threw out several hygrometers and thermometers that were off. They have to be calibrated. I bought two genesis 1588's for incubating and they work perfectly! I don't add anything I do dry hatch at lock down I move them to the hatcher with 60% humidity and that's it. I know how frustrating these bators can be! But there are a lot of people using them you need the right hygrometer and thermometers that is the key.

Went to take care of the flock this morning and found one of the BR poults dead
hit.gif
Was in a corner of the pen, no obvious signs of trauma... Oh man I hope this isn't the beginning of losses! Last year I lost the majority before 2-3 weeks... This one was around 8-10 weeks old.
he.gif

On a good note, Momma Hen was off the nest so took the opportunity to candle, all 13 look wonderful, good veining and positive movement
love.gif

Went to take care of the flock this morning and found one of the BR poults dead
hit.gif
Was in a corner of the pen, no obvious signs of trauma... Oh man I hope this isn't the beginning of losses! Last year I lost the majority before 2-3 weeks... This one was around 8-10 weeks old.
he.gif

On a good note, Momma Hen was off the nest so took the opportunity to candle, all 13 look wonderful, good veining and positive movement
love.gif

I am sorry to hear that. I lost a BR yesterday, about 4 weeks old. It was a smaller one, and was walking around with its neck retracted. I caught it and looked it over, no signs of illness other than that.

Went to take care of the flock this morning and found one of the BR poults dead :hit   Was in a corner of the pen, no obvious signs of trauma... Oh man I hope this isn't the beginning of losses!  Last year I lost the majority before 2-3 weeks... This one was around 8-10 weeks old.  :he

On a good note, Momma Hen was off the nest so took the opportunity to candle, all 13 look wonderful, good veining and positive movement:love
sorry for you loss.

Hope your hen has 13 bouncing babies on hatch day.

The problem is, no one bothered to start the new thread for 2015 & we kinda decided a new thread every year was a pain. You're welcome to start it if you like, but the year is almost half over now...and was well into the new year when this was started.
Um... i was the one who started the 2015 thread.

Last edited:
A century??? Why cant it be for just a year? Like last year some one had the turkey talk thread, and this year, so does another. i think its more fair for a person to get it for 1 year and not get it for a century. Just my honest opinion.

Think you started it too early. Looks like it died out before it even made it to 2015.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear that. I lost a BR yesterday, about 4 weeks old. It was a smaller one, and was walking around with its neck retracted. I caught it and looked it over, no signs of illness other than that.

I noticed that too, I checked it out, watched it for awhile.. It perked up and was running around the property with the others so I thought no more of it...

Its darn near heartbreaking, these littles just capture your heart

Back
Top Bottom