A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Ralph I think your mystery turkey looks like a chocolate.  But, I have very limited turkey experience.  I just think it looks exactly like Tomahawk. 
I have no idea if that is a possibility from the turkeys you have though.

Ethel a hussy?!  I think not.  She is a proper lady.  Or maybe she and JJ have an agreement...

Also, I don't know how it is possible for turkeys to not be cool.  Well, I guess I do know.  I was terrified of them for a long time because my aunt had a very mean tom that ran around.  I suppose hand raising them is the difference. 
I just love that my 3 poults come to hang out with us wherever we are.  The weather has been warm so the windows are open and they can hear us talking inside... they run to the deck and call for us, very confused. 

JJ does that too, when the windows are open he walks around and around the house trying to figure out how to get to where we are.  He calls us so we answer him, but the DW has not allowed me to let him in, yet.

All of my birds free ranged from Oct to March. Every time we would open the door they would come running. If anyone left the door open & turned away even for a minute there were birds wandering the house. They would just walk right in like they owned it.

Got all the poults I've hatched so far moved to outside pen yesterday.

They like the grass and sun but are still unsure of their new surroundings.

I don't really like keeping my birds pennef constantly. I like to free range them but predator losses are higher than normal this year.

So I added a 20 x40 open top run to my breeder pens. So far none have tried to fly out and the ones that have been penned are enjoying the grass.

Got all the poults I've hatched so far moved to outside pen yesterday.

They like the grass and sun but are still unsure of their new surroundings.

I don't really like keeping my birds pennef constantly. I like to free range them but predator losses are higher than normal this year.

So I added a 20 x40 open top run to my breeder pens. So far none have tried to fly out and the ones that have been penned are enjoying the grass.
That sounds great!

That is something I am hoping to do soon. For now I only let my birds out when I can be out there to supervise. We have a flock of Buzzards and owls that stay around here. These darn Buzzards have been trying to get my poults thru the wire they have nearly scalped two of my poults so far.

I have a basic newbie question. Do turkeys lay only in the spring? 

Basically yes.

My hens started in march this spring. Last year they laid til august.

Then I got no more eggs.

But a few have some that lay in the fall.

But I have not been that lucky.

I have set 3 batches of eggs since my pen disaster.

First batch set 15 they will be 21 days in monday. Just candled have 11 viable eggs.

2nd batch are 9 days in. Set 19 eggs have 18 viable.

3rd batch set tues. Set 14 eggs.

All my remaining hens are now in a big pen with a blue slate tom. Bourbon red tom. And my black tom.

So all these eggs will be mixes. Blue is now the dominant tom.

Be interesting to see what colors come out.

My only pure blue slate egg I got from pens after I lost my hens is trying internal pip when I candled so he's moved to hatcher.

Hopefully he makes it out.

Good luck Feedman I hope they all hatch for you!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom