A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Good morning...

It is the day I take my hands into my life!

I have to move my "brooding turkey hen" today.  She has been setting on the nest for nearly 3 months.  She is the worlds worst incubator.   She originally took over eggs another hen vacated. I was in Florida at the time and my DW cannot tell my hens apart. (weird huh?)      I removed those eggs after none of them hatched and replaced them. She sat on the new eggs for 30 some days and none hatched.. by this time she was getting skinny and I was worried about her health, but she refused to stop incubating.  So I gave her a dozen chicken eggs.  They should have hatched Sunday.

I checked on her Sunday, she was okay but PO'd I was looking at her.  Yesterday, I lifted her off her nest to get a good look at her. BIG MISTAKE!  

She was not happy with this move, after a few minutes of stomping around and letting me know she was upset. she attacked.  She puffed up and jumped at me like a wolverine in heat! Hitting me in the chest, twice.  Did you know their claws and wings hurt like H-e double hockey sticks!   Her eggs were broken and there were maggots crawling through some of them. they had partially developed chicks in them.  I noticed she is a tad "slow".  She moves all the eggs into  a circle around her so she can sit on a nice comfy nest and not those hard lumpy eggs..

Today I am moving her to a barren pen on hard cement until she gives up the incubating idea.  If you do not hear from me again, you know she beat me to death.

I have heard that body armor is a good idea when dealing with broody hens :). Have yet to experience it first hand - hmmm, something to look forward to. Hope you make it out in one piece!

I've lucked out so far. Most of my broodies (chicken & turkey both) have been docile enough that I can reach under & even pick them up without much more than some fluffing, squawking, growling & an occasional peck. Only 1 over the years has ever tried to actually bite me to draw blood. Needless to say, I didn't keep her long after.

I got my broody off her nest. BUT she refused to let me get ahold of her. I chased her out of the covered run she was in, I am hoping just not being allowed back to her nest will break her............

AND THE STENCH!!!!

Her eggs smell so bad, I rolled them around and saw no pips so they are done. I hope the other broody turkey is doing better on hers.

Same day, different turkey!

My blue brought me 7, I think chicks today, they are so small next to her. I cannot get a good count because of the way she guards them. She looks to be a good Mommy. I have a feeling she is going to be disappointed when her little boys grow up to crow and not gobble.

I just want to double check before we really start throwing together our coop and run this weekend. Will a 12 x 20 run be plenty big enough for 8 heritage turkeys? The coop itself is an 8 x 10. Our birds will get to free range but for when we have to keep them confined for whatever reason.

I just want to double check before we really start throwing together our coop and run this weekend. Will a 12 x 20 run be plenty big enough for 8 heritage turkeys? The coop itself is an 8 x 10. Our birds will get to free range but for when we have to keep them confined for whatever reason.

seems kind of small to me for 8.... BUT even more interesting will be your getting them to go into the coop..

Back
Top Bottom