A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Here I go adding my 2 cents..

I doubt it is a prolapse, mostly a yolk that is not absorbed. R2elk is right you should put them down. I don't always but I do sometimes. ( a definite maybe waffler here)...

I would not let them reproduce and that goes for George, JR....

Turkeys are not like chickens, they are way better. Two is fine, they will become like a pair of dogs following you everywhere. Just know a turkey tom that imprints can be dangerous to small kids.

Speaking of dangerous, I have a huge scratch down my leg. The turkey I grafted the chicks on came unglued today. She could not find her chicks. I thought I would help. I found them, she did not care for that. She was relentless! She kept coming back folly after folly towards me. I wish I had a camera.

I have to go out in a bit I hope to get a video of her attempting turkey wrassling moves on me.

Thank you both for your advice! No small kids here and I don't plan on changing that. Turkeys that follow you around like dogs sounds very cute. As long as they don't start attacking me I'm all for it. If they do they'll be Christmas dinner.

Since I've now posted in here anyway...
tongue.png

I just hatched my first turkeys, two Narragansett poults. I had four eggs but only 2 hatched - one a late quitter and the other never started. I picked them up at a Chickenstock several hours from my home where they also sat in the broiling sun all day, which couldn't have helped. But so far I am delighted with them. They are so sweet and make the cutest vocalizations. I am hoping for a pair. Can anyone tell me if they are like chickens and I will need more hens if I have a tom, or if a pair will be okay?

A pair of turkeys is okay but to protect the hen's health it may be necessary to separate them at times such as when she is sitting on a nest. More hen injuries happen when a tom tries tor breed a hen sitting on a nest than any other time. I prefer to keep 4 to 5 hens for one tom. It helps to keep the tom busy and prevent over breeding which can happen when there is only one hen.

Last edited:
A pair of turkeys is okay but to protect the hen's health it may be necessary to separate them at times such as when she i sitting on a nest.  More hen injuries happen when a tom tries tor breed a hen sitting on a nest than any other time.  I prefer to keep 4 to 5 hens for one tom.  It helps to keep the tom busy and prevent over breeding which can happen when there is only one hen. 

Thanks! I know someone locally is selling narragansett poults so maybe I'll get some. Although that would just cause more trouble if I end up with a bunch of toms out of them. Maybe I'll look for grown females in the Fall.

I have a nareggessta pet hen and three babys and only ended up with one tom but I will be breeding them then so I need to be looking for a different tom because the baby's are her kids and the tom would be breeding with her so I need to find a new tom.

I have a narragansett pet hen and three babys and only ended up with one tom but I will be breeding them then so I need to be looking for a different tom because the baby's are her kids and the tom would be breeding with her so I need to find a new tom.

Breeding brothers and sisters is called inbreeding and is not recommended. Breeding mother to son or father to daughter is line breeding and is an accepted and frequently used method by experienced breeders.

Back
Top Bottom