A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

IMG_20200923_093456676.jpg
IMG_20200921_111206940.jpg

Check out how beautiful Slater is now! He's so gorgeous!

I wish I could have a few geese just for the grease! It's the best part of a goose, besides their divine crisp skin. DH says NO to geese.
Also plucking geese is a major chore.
DH liked the geese better when there were not sixteen of them. It's a grand sight though, them all running up the hill together, flapping their wings and honking as though they were about to take to the sky.

I will do 2-3 a day, when the days are a little cooler. I can't do more than that unless it's reliably cold-but-not-freezing or I'll run out of space in the fridge downstairs to age the carcasses. If they're anything like the turkeys, it may take almost a week for them to unstiffen.

Watching all these videos, it looks like some of the hunters just hang them overnight (uncut) in cool weather. On the one hand, that seems a long time to leave the guts in; on the other, not long enough for them to unstiffen. 🤷‍♀️ Of course they're mostly doing ducks, so much smaller.

One guy used a pithing tool on his domestic muscovies. I know I ran across one online somewhere but do you think I can locate it now? Anybody have a line on where I could find one? (Otherwise I'll just look for a short awl, so please don't go to a lot of trouble; just if you happen to know.)

Another thing one guy said; that plucking Canadas while still warm made the process much easier. Gonna try that first.

I will do 2-3 a day, when the days are a little cooler. I can't do more than that unless it's reliably cold-but-not-freezing or I'll run out of space in the fridge downstairs to age the carcasses.
You can age carcasses in coolers.
One guy used a pithing tool on his domestic muscovies. I know I ran across one online somewhere but do you think I can locate it now? Anybody have a line on where I could find one? (Otherwise I'll just look for a short awl, so please don't go to a lot of trouble; just if you happen to know.)
You can use a thin blade scalpel. The recommendation I saw is to cut the jugular from inside the mouth after pithing. It is critical to hit the right part of the brain.

I remember as a kid eating hung pheasant, it was great. But I have a phycological issue with it now. I keep saying I'm going to try it again, but I haven't.
The absolute best pheasant that I have ever eaten was when I was raising them. I treated it like I would any other poultry. It was so much better than the ones that I had hunted that it wasn't funny. The bonus was there were no pellets in it either.

I do my cooking fast very very fast...

which means high heat...scorch or burn stuff a lot but it’s done fast... which might be while I get lumps..

The dirty messy pans never bother me, I have a wife to take care of that stuff... :lau :lau
Methinks Ralphie is purposely trying to get banned from the kitchen. 🤭

Back
Top Bottom