A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

porter's is really the place to get them. I think turkey eggs don't travel in the mail very well, although I haven't tested that theory myself, I do know that the eggs can be very temperamental and a lot of people have trouble hatching them. I took a few years to really dial in turkey parameters on my old incubators so they hatch well for me, but I am not sure it is worth shipping their eggs. Poults are your best bet on starting. I only have one recessive slate hen, so she of course hid her nest somewhere out in the pasture and freaked me out for a month, but I am probably going to band all her poults since they will carry recessive slate, or be recessive slate. For as huge as the recessive slate line is, the toms aren't the bosses, I am pretty sure that the tiger bronze and a blue sweetgrass are the current boss toms.
Shipped eggs don't have to go by USPS. I got my Sweetgrass start from eggs from Porter. I had them shipped by FedEx and requested they be shipped ground. In order to keep the eggs from being jostled too badly I also had them held at FedEx and picked them up there.

If they get shipped by air in a cargo plane which has a non-pressurized cargo bay, it can destroy all of the eggs.

Shipped eggs don't have to go by USPS. I got my Sweetgrass start from eggs from Porter. I had them shipped by FedEx and requested they be shipped ground. In order to keep the eggs from being jostled too badly I also had them held at FedEx and picked them up there.

If they get shipped by air in a cargo plane which has a non-pressurized cargo bay, it can destroy all of the eggs.
 I have been forbidden to get anymore for now anyway so I am working with what I have.

😅

porter's is really the place to get them. I think turkey eggs don't travel in the mail very well, although I haven't tested that theory myself, I do know that the eggs can be very temperamental and a lot of people have trouble hatching them. I took a few years to really dial in turkey parameters on my old incubators so they hatch well for me, but I am not sure it is worth shipping their eggs. Poults are your best bet on starting. I only have one recessive slate hen, so she of course hid her nest somewhere out in the pasture and freaked me out for a month, but I am probably going to band all her poults since they will carry recessive slate, or be recessive slate. For as huge as the recessive slate line is, the toms aren't the bosses, I am pretty sure that the tiger bronze and a blue sweetgrass are the current boss toms.

If I get anymore I will definitely get them from Porters. As long as I can keep what I have alive, I have enough to tinker with next year. With FNP school, I don't want to go too far overboard with them right now. I would love to have some recessive Slates in the future though.

I wasn't going to post about this here because I know everyone's going to think I'm insane, but I'm honestly interested in just talking about it for research type purposes and anyone else whose crazy like me in the future, lol.

I've had issues with my lovely tom turkey Griffon getting worse at breeding his hens. He really hurt one a couple weeks ago, and so I was stuck in a corner with either euthanizing my 6yr old boy (Who was my very first turkey ever, and I am incredibly fond of and love), or figuring out some solution. So I called my avian vet.

I forked over $568 and he got 2 4.7mg implants of Suprelorin, which are implants that are used in birds usually to curb horomones and stop egg laying for hens. I read a study that they did on two tom turkeys for tom on tom aggression, and it had worked. So I forked the cash over and I'm going to see if it works to curb his breeding.

They said it can take 2 weeks to kick in, so for now he is coming inside in the sick room during the day while the hens are out. I figured I might keep updating here just to see how it goes. I am mostly curious on seeing if this does work to help curb breeding hormones.

If it does, I don't know if I will do it again yet or not. They are expensive, I don't make much money. I would just need the implants during the breeding months, and I don't even quite know how long these implants will last in a turkey of his size. So it's all just an experiment. But he's a dear family member to me much like someone's dog is to them, so I don't want to euthanize unless he's very sick or it's the last option.

Back
Top Bottom