A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

About 5 wild males have joined my flock. They don't bother anybody, just drink my water and eat my grass. I have 3 toms of my own, they seem to be friendly with the new guys. I would not mind if my toms called in some hens (I don't have any turkey hens) but they are only bringing boys to the yard. Where are all the ladies at???

About 5 wild males have joined my flock. They don't bother anybody, just drink my water and eat my grass. I have 3 toms of my own, they seem to be friendly with the new guys. I would not mind if my toms called in some hens (I don't have any turkey hens) but they are only bringing boys to the yard. Where are all the ladies at???
This time of year the hens are still raising their poults and avoiding any contact with males. Your toms probably called in a bachelor group.

This time of year the hens are still raising their poults and avoiding any contact with males. Your toms probably called in a bachelor group.
Is there any time of year when turkey hens enjoy the company of males? Even during mating season, I only saw my turkey hens roosting and foraging with the chickens. There must have been some mating because the turkey eggs hatched, but no socializing that I know of.

Is there any time of year when turkey hens enjoy the company of males? Even during mating season, I only saw my turkey hens roosting and foraging with the chickens. There must have been some mating because the turkey eggs hatched, but no socializing that I know of.
The hens come and squat for the males after watching them fight each other. She will only accept the boss male. She will get bred, then she will leave and not look back. With enough room, even the domestics will do some of this.

In the wild, the hens and toms only come together in spring for mating time. An older tom may take charge of a mixed group if he impresses the females enough, or he beats all the local toms and the females accept him as their tom. Once breeding has occurred, and the hens have found themselves a nice place to nest not too far from the other hens, but still hidden, like clumps of tall grass near a fence, a shrubbery, or a pallet against a barn wall, they make a nest. Have seen them make nests in the weirdest of places. Once they hatch their nests, they will not let the toms come near again. The toms can be noisy and pompous, and they want to blend in and keep the poults safe. The hens will band with other hens that have poults. Right now, I have about 5 hens in a bonded group that have about 13 poults between them. More eyes see predators, I suppose. The hens don't even particularly like roosting near the toms at any time. One of their favorite pastimes in winter when they are forced together due to snow is plucking beards.

In the wild, the hens and toms only come together in spring for mating time. An older tom may take charge of a mixed group if he impresses the females enough, or he beats all the local toms and the females accept him as their tom. Once breeding has occurred, and the hens have found themselves a nice place to nest not too far from the other hens, but still hidden, like clumps of tall grass near a fence, a shrubbery, or a pallet against a barn wall, they make a nest. Have seen them make nests in the weirdest of places. Once they hatch their nests, they will not let the toms come near again. The toms can be noisy and pompous, and they want to blend in and keep the poults safe. The hens will band with other hens that have poults. Right now, I have about 5 hens in a bonded group that have about 13 poults between them. More eyes see predators, I suppose. The hens don't even particularly like roosting near the toms at any time. One of their favorite pastimes in winter when they are forced together due to snow is plucking beards.
Yeah, my turkey hens always stayed together and roosted in their coop. After the poults hatched, the hens roosted farther away and all got eaten by predators. I think they were trying to get away from the toms. I don't know if I should have any hens if turkeys prefer to only be with their own gender.

Yeah, my turkey hens always stayed together and roosted in their coop. After the poults hatched, the hens roosted farther away and all got eaten by predators. I think they were trying to get away from the toms. I don't know if I should have any hens if turkeys prefer to only be with their own gender.
The toms don't prefer to be with the toms. The hens avoidiing the toms is a preservation measure. Hens that are forced to nest where the toms have access to their nests can end up injured or dead because the toms take the hen sitting on a nest as an invitation to breed. The unwanted breeding attempts can cause broken eggs, injured or even death as the hens struggle against the toms.

Back
Top Bottom