A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

The toms don't prefer to be with the toms. The hens avoidiing the toms is a preservation measure. Hens that are forced to nest where the toms have access to their nests can end up injured or dead because the toms take the hen sitting on a nest as an invitation to breed. The unwanted breeding attempts can cause broken eggs, injured or even death as the hens struggle against the toms.
My non-nesting turkey hens always hung out with the chickens, away from the toms.

I posted this on the “turkey” area, but only got one reply and it was unfortunately not very helpful...

Not sure if it is because they are young still.... but I thought I’d try posting here as well.

I have a group of Sweetgrass turkeys that I’ve been SO excited to bring in, and they are doing amazing!!

Also. I have 2 “outliers”....
There are minor color development discrepancies between the other babies, but these two appear to be different varieties.

I don’t -really- care at this point, they will stay here at least until I know for sure what I’ve got. But. I thought I would ask if anyone has any ideas what variety these babies might be.

Hatched around the first of August.
Photos from yesterday. We were clipping wings so it was a good time to grab some pix.

Pic 1 is one that appears to be a blue/ dilute phase of some sort

Pic 2 is -almost- like my Holland Whites, but has notable “red” on its head

Pic 3 is one that I believe to be developing “normally” for the Sweetgrass variety.

Any thoughts are welcome. And, of course, I’m not expecting any guarantees lol

Attachments

• 0ADA32A2-3D28-43A3-B00E-00D62843A2DE.jpeg
    0ADA32A2-3D28-43A3-B00E-00D62843A2DE.jpeg
    629 KB · Views: 11
  • 1B3F5500-E24B-493B-BB09-52FF6E6E5D17.jpeg
    1B3F5500-E24B-493B-BB09-52FF6E6E5D17.jpeg
    515.4 KB · Views: 10
  • D93401CE-A90E-415D-9F5D-2A07EBBFF091.jpeg
    D93401CE-A90E-415D-9F5D-2A07EBBFF091.jpeg
    574.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I posted this on the “turkey” area, but only got one reply and it was unfortunately not very helpful...

Not sure if it is because they are young still.... but I thought I’d try posting here as well.

I have a group of Sweetgrass turkeys that I’ve been SO excited to bring in, and they are doing amazing!!

There are minor color development discrepancies between the other babies, but these two appear to be different varieties.

I don’t -really- care at this point, they will stay here at least until I know for sure what I’ve got. But. I thought I would ask if anyone has any ideas what variety these babies might be.

Photos from yesterday. We were clipping wings so it was a good time to grab some pix.

Pic 3 is one that I believe to be developing “normally” for the Sweetgrass variety.

I don't know what they are, but I love the coloring on that first one. are they from porter's?

im wondering if you have a semi penciled gene in there on that first one, it is consistent with a semi penciled sweetgrass. The second one needs more age, sometimes they take longer yet for us to know what color they are. The third one is indeed consistent with typical sweetgrass.

I don't know what they are, but I love the coloring on that first one. are they from porter's?
Yes. Kevin was disappointed to let me know that all of my poults would be Sweetgrass/ not a mix- but I was over the moon happy because that was what I wanted 💕
I am not concerned about the outliers- I’m just curious to identify them so I can plug them in to his calculator 😉

im wondering if you have a semi penciled gene in there on that first one, it is consistent with a semi penciled sweetgrass. The second one needs more age, sometimes they take longer yet for us to know what color they are. The third one is indeed consistent with typical sweetgrass.
Thank you!
I will keep you posted as they grow 😊

Porter's only lists mature weights for chocolate turkey (33 lbs) and pencilled palm (25 lbs). are all the other varieties the same size as the chocolate, or something in between? i can't stop looking at their site, i wish @Molpet had not posted that link :oops:
The site is still being "improved" and much information that was there previously is not back yet.

Back
Top Bottom