A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I get it now, thank you. It would be helpful for people like me, if the page was already pre-filled with an example :)
Thanks for your suggestion. I have now added a few more informations on the page on how to use the tool. In the near future I will also add a short video guide on how to use it.

Please let me know if there is something else you are missing on the site. ☺️

1702314892025.png

I wanted to share my newest additions. Quite the medley of genetics going on in this bunch and I'm excited to watch them grow. The eggs came from a friend and their father was a painted Tom. Some may be from the eggs of a grizzled crossed hen (rusty black). The other potential mothers are sweetgrass, slate, and lavender. I have one that is looking suspiciously like some variety of chocolate? It has white in its wings but also some brown. If it is indeed chcolate, that would mean the painted tom is also split for chocolate. Only time will tell. I'm excited to tinker with the painted and grizzled genes as mysterious as they are. Lol

There is one solid white looking one, some rusty brown colored ones, a chocolate brown looking one, a couple of blacks, and some with various colors of slate blue.

PS @R2elk I ordered the book. It just hasn't arrived yet.

20231211_102657.jpg
20231212_115111.jpg
20231212_173655.jpg
20231212_173658.jpg
20231212_173700.jpg
20231212_175328.jpg

I'm currently working on an new feature: Reverse Search
This feature should allow people to identify their turkey's variety based on the phenotype and give them an approximation of the genotype.

Please feel free to test it out and tell me if you face any issues.

View attachment 3702142
https://www.turkey-color-calculator.com/ReverseSearch/ReverseSearch.html

I played around with it some and I think it is a very helpful tool. Some of the varieties for the traits I plugged in weren't available, but you mentioned you were still adding to it. I purchased your book to help me fill the gaps in what I've learned about turkey genetics thus far. I really like the new look of your varieties page also, and adding the pictures of juveniles and poults is extremely helpful.

I look forward to the addition of the painted and grizzled genotypes and learning more about the inheritance of those genes. My turkey friends and I are waiting ever so impatiently for Kevin Porter to release his paper on them.

:D

I wanted to share my newest additions. Quite the medley of genetics going on in this bunch and I'm excited to watch them grow. The eggs came from a friend and their father was a painted Tom. Some may be from the eggs of a grizzled crossed hen (rusty black). The other potential mothers are sweetgrass, slate, and lavender. I have one that is looking suspiciously like some variety of chocolate? It has white in its wings but also some brown. If it is indeed chcolate, that would mean the painted tom is also split for chocolate. Only time will tell. I'm excited to tinker with the painted and grizzled genes as mysterious as they are. Lol

There is one solid white looking one, some rusty brown colored ones, a chocolate brown looking one, a couple of blacks, and some with various colors of slate blue.
They’re adorable! Those sound like fun crosses to mess around with as well(I’m heavily biased towards Rusty black/rusty anything varieties, so if there’s a potential for that to be in their ancestry I’d love to see how they grow). I’m also awaiting Kevin Porter’s papers on grizzled and painted birds. I doubt I’ll end up with such birds at any point in the near future, but they seem so interesting to study. Will you share photos of the poults as they grow?

Oh, also, if you don’t mind me asking, what sort of flooring is that that you’ve got your poults on?

They’re adorable! Those sound like fun crosses to mess around with as well(I’m heavily biased towards Rusty black/rusty anything varieties, so if there’s a potential for that to be in their ancestry I’d love to see how they grow). I’m also awaiting Kevin Porter’s papers on grizzled and painted birds. I doubt I’ll end up with such birds at any point in the near future, but they seem so interesting to study. Will you share photos of the poults as they grow?

Oh, also, if you don’t mind me asking, what sort of flooring is that that you’ve got your poults on?

It's a pine pellet bedding I am experimenting with. A friend that raises turkeys made the suggestion and I'm giving it a whirl. The pellets are highly absorbent and they haven't been interested in trying to eat anything besides their food like they tend to do with shavings. So far, so good. I have them in the house for now so I watch them closely.

I will absolutely keep you posted on my poults as they grow! I am highly suspicious there is some chocolate genetics at play (or maybe just hopeful? lol) One of the little lighter slate-looking ones appears to have light brown wing feathers coming in, so wouldn't that be so cool if it were a chocolate slate?? I tend to geek out on turkeys. The little rusty ones more than likely are rusty blacks. There is also one little slate-looking one that looks like it has the beginnings of looking painted on its wings already. It is too soon to know for sure, but that would just make my little heart sing.
:wee

I might be crazy trying to raise poults in winter while I'm in grad school, but it's a challenge I have gladly accepted. LOL

It's a pine pellet bedding
I went to this also in the brooder. Works great. Breaks down to sawdust.
The corn cob bedding I didn't care for. It swells to twice it's size.

I use pellets in coops sometimes, usually I use dried lawn grass and leaves in coops. Sometimes the adults try a couple pieces and then ignore it. I had one rooster that was gobbling them up. I had just put down a handful in a flooded corner so it was easy to move him until the pellets were soaked.

I went to this also in the brooder. Works great. Breaks down to sawdust.
The corn cob bedding I didn't care for. It swells to twice it's size.

I use pellets in coops sometimes, usually I use dried lawn grass and leaves in coops. Sometimes the adults try a couple pieces and then ignore it. I had one rooster that was gobbling them up. I had just put down a handful in a flooded corner so it was easy to move him until the pellets were soaked.
I'm glad to hear you have had good luck with it. I know turkey poults have been known to eat shavings so I wanted to avoid that for sure. And I already had the pellets on hand. I still may try sand if I can find some in small bags at TSC. I like that the pellets wick away moisture and break down into a fine sawdust. I just get paranoid that they will eat the sawdust. I may offer them some fine bird grit just in case.

I'm glad to hear you have had good luck with it. I know turkey poults have been known to eat shavings so I wanted to avoid that for sure. And I already had the pellets on hand. I still may try sand if I can find some in small bags at TSC. I like that the pellets wick away moisture and break down into a fine sawdust. I just get paranoid that they will eat the sawdust. I may offer them some fine bird grit just in case.
I use sand for the brooder bedding because I live on a sand dune. I get the sand free by digging it up. I doubt I would use sand if I had to buy it.

Offering appropriate sized grit in the brooder is fine even if they don't need it.

Also, after looking at my poults some of them aren't slate blue at all. They are a light brown color. I think I will tag each poult and record their down colors, just to see what birds grow out of each color. I put some paper towels down until I get some grit. I got paranoid they would eat the saw dust. But the paper towels help to better see each poults' true colors.

20231213_010929.jpg
20231213_010935.jpg

Also the poults are in my son's room, hence why you see toys on the floor. I couldn't put them in my spare bedroom because that is where our doodle sleeps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom