A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

20240311_105243.jpg

Finally got my rusty blacks together! Super excited about that pen. Lots of variation to expect from them. On top of that, my chestnut reds have just started breeding, so hopefully I’ll see eggs soon. 25% chance of regal reds, hopefully I see that happen. In general, I’m looking forward to all the poults I’ll get this season.

My turkey hen, Sassy hatched unexpectedly as I thought we had more time until her eggs were due. She was brooded up away from the nest so we figured her hatch was complete. Only one egg had hatched and we thought she only had a single poult. Upon closer look, her baby is a chicken and when I candled the remaining eggs, 7 out of 9 are still viable. A chicken must have made a deposit in her nest. Sassy free ranges and hid her nest well, but apparently a chicken found it a good place to lay also.

I put the eggs in the incubator, not really knowing what else to do. She has since taken the chick back to the nest for the night. I hate so bad to take her eggs, but I don't want to take the chick from her, and I don't want to risk her taking the chick off the nest and abandoning the turkey eggs. Considering we do have blackhead in this area, the poults will likely fare better brooded by me as opposed to her raising them. Sassy is smitten with her newborn chick and is fiercely protective of it.

Did I do the right thing? :(

My turkey hen, Sassy hatched unexpectedly as I thought we had more time until her eggs were due. She was brooded up away from the nest so we figured her hatch was complete. Only one egg had hatched and we thought she only had a single poult. Upon closer look, her baby is a chicken and when I candled the remaining eggs, 7 out of 9 are still viable. A chicken must have made a deposit in her nest. Sassy free ranges and hid her nest well, but apparently a chicken found it a good place to lay also.

I put the eggs in the incubator, not really knowing what else to do. She has since taken the chick back to the nest for the night. I hate so bad to take her eggs, but I don't want to take the chick from her, and I don't want to risk her taking the chick off the nest and abandoning the turkey eggs. Considering we do have blackhead in this area, the poults will likely fare better brooded by me as opposed to her raising them. Sassy is smitten with her newborn chick and is fiercely protective of it.

Did I do the right thing? :(
Yes
One chick is hard to raise by itself. But there can be issues later because of the imprinting

Back
Top Bottom