A chick of a different color

SunBaked

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Southwest
One of my chicks that hatched the other day is lighter than all my others have been. It looks just like the regular IB chicks but a few shades lighter and yellowish tail feathers. I took some pictures but you can't really see the difference as much in the pictures. Do you guys think it's just a regular IB that just happens to be lighter? None of the other 9 I've gotten to hatch have been this light.

Oh, in case it makes a difference I'm not sure what the parents might be split with. One peahen was adopted from a bird rescue 4 years ago, 2 more from the same bird rescue 1 year ago and the peacock and other peahen were adopted from their owner who couldn't keep them anymore. They all look IB but thanks to you guys I noticed that one of the peahens has white flight feathers so is split to white.

Here are some pictures but they don't show the difference very well. (I put a garbage bag on the floor when they are running around so they don't poop on the floor)

88718_puppies_056.jpg

88718_puppies_048.jpg

88718_puppies_039.jpg

88718_puppies_054.jpg

My guess is they are White- Eyed also. I have two that are very similar to yours and I asked on this forum and DMFarm told me thats what they were.

Quote:
It would almost definitely be your peahen with white flight feathers for one, I would think. She doesn't have to be split to white necessarily to have those feathers (Silver pied, for example, are white eye). Mine, for instance, are dark pied birds out of silver pied parents, and they look perfectly like IB but with white flights (and the boy will have white eyes). The hens... well, there's no way to tell from looking at them that they're white eye, but by lineage I know they are and they have the white flights.

But, I was pretty sure the pattern mutations had to have both parents as having it, so if you've only got one male, he's either white eye or split to it. Not sure if white-eye would show white flights just by itself, and sometimes a bird can be white eye but not... actually display any white eyes. At least that is what I was told.

Quote:
It would almost definitely be your peahen with white flight feathers for one, I would think. She doesn't have to be split to white necessarily to have those feathers (Silver pied, for example, are white eye). Mine, for instance, are dark pied birds out of silver pied parents, and they look perfectly like IB but with white flights (and the boy will have white eyes). The hens... well, there's no way to tell from looking at them that they're white eye, but by lineage I know they are and they have the white flights.

But, I was pretty sure the pattern mutations had to have both parents as having it, so if you've only got one male, he's either white eye or split to it. Not sure if white-eye would show white flights just by itself, and sometimes a bird can be white eye but not... actually display any white eyes. At least that is what I was told.

You can tell the hens are lighter even as adults.

Only one parent need to be white eye to get white eye chicks. Adults white eye will have a frosty look or light grey cast......dark pied out of silver pied pairs will be white eye, as all silver pied are white eye. White eye X White eye = 100 % white eyes. White eye X non white eye = both white eye and non white eye chicks

Quote:
Mine isn't. The only way I know which hen Osiris is (I mean, aside from that she is the only one who comes rushing up to me to say hi) is by her white flights and white throat patch.

And Deerman, thanks. Interesting that only one needs the pattern for a kid to have it! Is that the only pattern that acts that way? I know BS has to have two, white has to have two (ok, white's only "sort of" a pattern but still).

Quote:
Mine isn't. The only way I know which hen Osiris is (I mean, aside from that she is the only one who comes rushing up to me to say hi) is by her white flights and white throat patch.

And Deerman, thanks. Interesting that only one needs the pattern for a kid to have it! Is that the only pattern that acts that way? I know BS has to have two, white has to have two (ok, white's only "sort of" a pattern but still).

Yes the only pattern, white eye is co-dominant.

Now sex link colors, only the male need to be that color or split that color, to produce hen chicks that color.

Back
Top Bottom