A chicken's maximum life span is 15 years.

I think Bantymum has a 16 year old BO named Goldilocks that still gives her the occational egg......
ep.gif

Yes indeed, in fact I purchased her as an adult too, and she was with my first ever chicken batch way back in 1991.
I remember going out to Lucy's house in the country and picking her out, she was the prettiest of them all.
I bought her home in a cat box, it was a hot day though I had aircon, but i was so worried about her.
I was so excited too.
So she may be getting to 17!!! she still looks really well, her combs pale every now and then and she hangs around near my back door and when I say "hello Goldilocks" she always answers back with her uniquie sweet sound.
I wish they had pedigree certificates with chickens so I can prove it.
Her spurs need clipping again. I hate doing that to her.
I dont like to stress her out at her age.

Quote:
I just had a look and emailed him too!
I noticed that sulphur crested cockatoos are quite wrong!
I know one that is 75 years old and have heard of these passing down in families due to owners passing away to reach the ripe old age of 100.

I was going to say, when I was growing up we had a chicken that my mom had before she and dad got married. She lived on our porch all during my growing up time and even moved to Virginia with us from Vermont. She died when I turned 16 and she was 21. That was a really depressing day.

Mark

Wow Mark, what type of chicken was she?
I bet she was a big breed. That would have been a very sad time for you all.
Goldilocks is so very special to us too, she has survived 2 fox raids because she was well hidden.
Im thankful that she is still well, though if she starts to struggle I will be with her all the way.

She, Henny Penny, was a RIR. She was so cool. She sat on my shoulder when I was a kid, and sat in my lap when I was a teenager. She'd eat out of my hand. Not just pecking, but very gently. I think I might have a Barred Rock (one of the ones I hatched from Cyn's eggs) in my latest batch that might be like that. I hope she lives as long.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom