a dog attacked my Amy :(

One of our worst experience dealing with neighbors and our animals and there's I could have killed that dog after what he did after the incident with the flock all spread over our property acer and a half birds in trees in other people's yards on our roof we found that the rooster wasn't the only one who was killed by the dog he took 5 hens and pullets and a young turkey 2 moths

I have a terrier mix that got a hold of one of my chickens yesterday. he took off a large amount of feathers taking skin, leaving exposed muscle. the wound is very large and deep. I have her safe now but ask the questions: can I break him of this and should I kill her or see if she can survive? I don't want her to suffer. this is breaking my heart.

Im sorry for the loss of Amy. We have our pets for such a short time, but they bring us joy. Don't let the losses stop you from having chickens again. Think of the good life you can give to them.

I was really hoping this would be one of those stories that had a happy ending, but its not. I lost her. I think this may be the end of my chicken momma experience. Too much heartbreak. We've lost 3 in the 5 months we've been chicken parents and I think thats just about enuf for me.
sad.png

Oh, that is so sad. I am so very sorry for your loss. Having lost my hen "Momma" two days ago I feel your pain, and can only hope that the passing of time allows you to heal.

And if it's any consolation, whilst I don't hate that dog, I'm not at all impressed with it's owners.....

Krista

Ty all very much for your kind words. Ive heard so many stories about others dogs tomenting chickens cash, and I cant understand how people would not monitor or make sure they are secure. Ive got a few dogs who roam but they've never given mine a second glance. We have our coop built and fenced in our front yard cuz we own dogs. And our first loss was from one of them. I know I cant blame a dog for doing whats natural, but it was easier when it was my dog and my lack of securing the run. Byt we also live in a high chicken populated neighborhood and I think its very very rude of the owners to just let him run, esp considering those terriers are bred for that.
I have a terrier mix that got a hold of one of my chickens yesterday. he took off a large amount of feathers taking skin, leaving exposed muscle. the wound is very large and deep. I have her safe now but ask the questions: can I break him of this and should I kill her or see if she can survive? I don't want her to suffer. this is breaking my heart.
If you have the means to monitor your bird I def would. Keep the bird warm and clean the wound. Its one day at a time. I dont think you can break your dog tho. I have a neighbor who had their daughters terrier just destroy their who flock. I tried everything I could but I only managed to save 2 hens. And when we explained what happened he thot it was our dogs and was kinda rude. But while we were talking to him you could hear gawd awful noises and feathers flying again. He witnessed the last 2. Its stronger in the nature of those dogs in my experience. I really hope yours pulls through!

Back
Top Bottom