Dog attack related injuries

Mbryant2409

Hatching
Mar 29, 2024
My parents dog came for a visit and attacked one of my chickens.

She had her pinned and honestly it the attack didn't look too bad but when I picked her up, she was all but limp. She was in shock. I have brought her inside to quarantine. This happened on 3.27.24. Yesterday (3.28) I wrapped her in a towel and syringed her water. She was very alert and did not seem stressed, but she seemed to get worse yesterday afternoon. She can stand but is wobbly. I am doing my best to leave her be and let her rest. I know she's hurting and I am not sure what else to do. I do not want her to suffer but I don't want to make the call too quick. Pic attached - this is her tail feather (bone) and she has 3 bite marks that are not shown but they are simple puncture wounds. She didn't bleed much AT ALL. She laid an egg yesterday (a day after the incident) I am hopeful she lays one today, that would show me some additional hope. She's all but laid in the same spot all night. I am worried about her legs as she is not standing but nothing feels broke. She was standing quite a bit yesterday and when I had heard on the couch with me she went sound to sleep. I am not sure what to do. She's still eating a little bit and will drink water when I show her the syringe. She just seems to weak to get up and eat / drink on her own. Externally she seems okay outside of the gaping hole next to her tail feathers. She pooped a wad of yellow yesterday that appeared to be a busted yolk. but that was after she laid her egg (which was perfectly normal).

Any advice medically would be great. She is my baby and I am honestly devastated.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 34
Awe I'm SO sorry, it's not a happy way to Welcome you to BYC but I'm certainly glad you joined!! You're doing all the right things, really and you're right about shock. Years ago I found my Newfie puppy with a chicken pinned, wings spread out and both motionless like he was defying it move. She later died from the shock with no injuries at all. I would continue to keep her in a warm space administering wound care and as much electrolytes, try mashed feed (add water to layer feed,) and if you have some Nutridrench, that'd be good. It's also stressful to be away from the flock but they will find the wound and make it worse. Can she hear the flock by chance? Maybe some scrambled egg would perk her up appetite wise.

Awe I'm SO sorry, it's not a happy way to Welcome you to BYC but I'm certainly glad you joined!! You're doing all the right things, really and you're right about shock. Years ago I found my Newfie puppy with a chicken pinned, wings spread out and both motionless like he was defying it move. She later died from the shock with no injuries at all. I would continue to keep her in a warm space administering wound care and as much electrolytes, try mashed feed (add water to layer feed,) and if you have some Nutridrench, that'd be good. It's also stressful to be away from the flock but they will find the wound and make it worse. Can she hear the flock by chance? Maybe some scrambled egg would perk her up appetite wise.
She can hear my neighbors flock but not mine. I did wrap her up yesterday and sat on the back porch with her she watched the rest of the flock and then slept. Do you think a epsom salt soak would help? (just enough to cover her legs) I am at work rn but I have a camera on her and she has not moved much today if any. I cant tell from the angle if she laid a egg this am or not. I am hoping that she is resting and will be up and aware when I get home. How long does the shock normally last? She perks up every time I give her some real worms. So she is cognitively aware. She's just weak :( I also added an electrolyte packet in her water yesterday. But so far today she has not gotten up to eat or drink..

Also, What is the best thing to put on her? I have some spray that I have sprayed on her wounds. Should I do hydrogen peroxide or Neosporin ?

My parents dog came for a visit and attacked one of my chickens.

She had her pinned and honestly it the attack didn't look too bad but when I picked her up, she was all but limp. She was in shock. I have brought her inside to quarantine. This happened on 3.27.24. Yesterday (3.28) I wrapped her in a towel and syringed her water. She was very alert and did not seem stressed, but she seemed to get worse yesterday afternoon. She can stand but is wobbly. I am doing my best to leave her be and let her rest. I know she's hurting and I am not sure what else to do. I do not want her to suffer but I don't want to make the call too quick. Pic attached - this is her tail feather (bone) and she has 3 bite marks that are not shown but they are simple puncture wounds. She didn't bleed much AT ALL. She laid an egg yesterday (a day after the incident) I am hopeful she lays one today, that would show me some additional hope. She's all but laid in the same spot all night. I am worried about her legs as she is not standing but nothing feels broke. She was standing quite a bit yesterday and when I had heard on the couch with me she went sound to sleep. I am not sure what to do. She's still eating a little bit and will drink water when I show her the syringe. She just seems to weak to get up and eat / drink on her own. Externally she seems okay outside of the gaping hole next to her tail feathers. She pooped a wad of yellow yesterday that appeared to be a busted yolk. but that was after she laid her egg (which was perfectly normal).

Any advice medically would be great. She is my baby and I am honestly devastated.
It’s hard to say. I do know that this area is near the kidneys, but the wound looks shallow enough that it might heal on its own

I'm hoping you'll get more people and advice here but mine would not be the epsom salt bath. Triple Antibiotic cream is good. I keep Vetericyn Plus and Blu Kote on hand for would care (for all animals.) Keep up with whatever source of protein gets her eating again and keep trying her normal feed in mash form. It sounds to me like she's going to be okay honestly. 💛

Back
Top Bottom