A. drake for a pet?

It's not that he's going to turn on you, but he might take his sexual frustration out on you, especially during breeding season. You have to make sure you establish boundaries with him. Don't get him accustomed to nipping at your feet or hands, for example. Maybe you can also provide stuffed toys that are about the size and shape of a female duck. I've heard people say they've had good luck with that. And, perhaps, an unbreakable mirror.

It's not that he's going to turn on you, but he might take his sexual frustration out on you, especially during breeding season. You have to make sure you establish boundaries with him. Don't get him accustomed to nipping at your feet or hands, for example. Maybe you can also provide stuffed toys that are about the size and shape of a female duck. I've heard people say they've had good luck with that. And, perhaps, an unbreakable mirror.

Awww... Its been nibbling at my toes and fingers since I've had it. Ive been holding its beak shut and saying no when it bites my face. I don't know if its working. Any tips? I'll try and get a duck dog toy? Those are supposedly replicas of ducks for hunting dogs.

Any kind of stuffed toy would be good, even a child's stuffed toy or a teddy bear as long as it doesn't have buttons/parts that can get loose or is treated by any kind of chemicals. Something he can tug around and do his, um, thing with.

Also, make sure he can't get the stuffing out of the toy and buy more than one.

I'm not sure about how to stop nipping at hands and feet, but someone else might be better at stopping that in a gentle way.

Last edited:
He could turn out just fine. I have two drakes and no hens and they are extremely friendly. When one of them does try to nip at me though, I pick him up, flip him on his back, and just hold him. It calms him down but also shows him that he isn't the boss.

Any kind of stuffed toy would be good, even a child's stuffed toy or a teddy bear as long as it doesn't have buttons/parts that can get loose or is treated by any kind of chemicals. Something he can tug around and do his, um, thing with.

Also, make sure he can't get the stuffing out of the toy and buy more than one.

I'm not sure about how to stop nipping at hands and feet, but someone else might be better at stopping that in a gentle way.

He/she has a teddy bear right now and loves the thing. I knew it'd get lonely by itself so I gave it to 'em the first night I got it. It'll cuddle rightup to it. I hope I can handle him if he's a male. Thank you for all your help! And here's he/she and the bear

He'll probably be OK. Just remember, that if he does get hormonal, he's not really attacking you and he can't help it because he doesn't understand why he's doing it. It can be frustrating, but it can be dealt with. Perhaps things will change by the time he gets older and you can find him a duck or drake companion.

Back
Top Bottom