A FALCONRY THREAD!!!

You seem to know a lot about wild birds from what you have said in previous posts. Do you do a lot of reading, or how did you learn?

I read/have read a lot and spend a great deal of time in the outdoors. The computer has become a great tool for educating myself about what I see on my daily routines. I have seen redtails teaching their 'young of the year' how to hunt. I have seen a pair of redtails attacking a GHO in an attempt to take over its nest. I have seen a redtail strike and kill a squirrel within feet of me. I am awed by raptors even though they put me out of the pigeon raising/flying hobby.

Allears,

Really cool system! Bats are fascinating animals, I have a bat box but no bats yet. They are very particular about where they sleep; I think that I should try a different spot!

-El

I wanted to do a post on one of the most fascinating animals I have ever seen!

THE SECRETARY BIRD!!!
th.gif

(APOLOGIES FOR MY EXCITEMENT! :)

I think that this is the most abnormal bird of prey I have ever seen!

Check out these videos of them they are incredible!!

This video is of a secretary bird with who I imagine is a zookeeper. It was the clearest shot of a hunting secretary bird I could find, as they tend to hunt in tall grass where you cannot see them strike!

This other one is of a wild secretary bird hunt!

Has anyone else heard of this bird prior to this post?

-El

Last edited:
Just a random video I found on the internet while researching Secretary birds. It is of a roadrunner who suddenly turns bird of prey on a rattlesnake! I have never known roadrunners to hunt snakes, so I thought this was interesting. Last time I checked they are not official birds of prey, but it is still interesting!

WARNING: IT IS A LITTLE GRAPHIC!! NOT TOO BAD, BUT IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO THIS KIND OF THING I WOULD AVOID THE VIDEO! :)

THE SECRETARY BIRD!!!
th.gif

This video is of a secretary bird with who I imagine is a zookeeper. It was the clearest shot of a hunting secretary bird I could find, as they ten to hunt in tall grass where you cannot see them strike!

-El

I have seen them in real life, they are huge and not at all afraid of people. I was told not to get too close because they can be aggressive and dangerous! They were very cool. I like the screaming noises they make.

Just some cool shots I wanted to share! I mean the crow looks like it is riding the eagle, just photography at its finest.
lol.png

For those who may not know: Crows and ravens are regularly observed attacking birds of prey, an act called mobbing as it is usually done in a group! I feel bad for all of the hawks I see being mobbed, but it's just the crows and ravens trying to stay alive and protect themselves. They are just so darn smart, I have to hand it to them!

Last edited:
Yowza!! In that first crow photo, it looks like the crow has a double hold on one of the hawk's legs....aie!!! Yes, I love crows...they are funny and smart birds, but boy, ya better not mess with them (especially if you are a bird of prey)!!

THE SECRETARY BIRD!!!
th.gif

This video is of a secretary bird with who I imagine is a zookeeper. It was the clearest shot of a hunting secretary bird I could find, as they ten to hunt in tall grass where you cannot see them strike!

-El

This is a young bird that came in with an injured leg and throat infection. The crate its in easily holds two German Short-hair Pointers. When the bird raised itself up, it lifted the top of the crate off! They are TALL birds. (Just so you know the top half of the crate wasn't fastened in place, so it could lift, just makes for easier cleaning.) Big bird, big doodoo
tongue.png
) Obviously when we transport the lid of the crate gets secured. This bird clobbered me on me on my wrist when I was still having to force feed it and I can tell you that those legs are POWERFUL!!!!

Fledgling Rock Kestrels

Young
Cape Vulture

Sub adult Spotted Eagle Own

Everyone has their place and purpose. However we are running out of space and in an attempt to survive, there is more and more overlapping of territory, often with sad consequences.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom