A feed question: chick starter for how long?

nerfworthy

Songster
Mar 29, 2018
South Western Idaho
Hi All,

My chickens are nearing laying age and I had a question. How long do I stick with chick starter? The company I buy my feed from only has 2 kinds, chick starter and laying all non medicated.

Can I do chick starter indefinitely + oyster shell supplement? Or do I HAVE to switch to layer once they start laying?

EDIT: Extra info, the chick starter is 20% protein and their laying mix is 16% protein

Last edited:
I personally don't feed a layer ever anymore. Mine get an All Flock ration or a non medicated starter grower with a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs. Layer is too low in protein for my flock and I didn't care for all that extra calcium. I prefer my hens to self regulate their calcium needs. I don't see weird shells or those with calcium deposits like I did on a layer.

The starter is higher protein than the layer. I keep mine on a starter for 8 weeks and then a grower until the first egg, then switch to a layer ration. Lots of treats too. I mix in grit and egg shells (crumbled really fine).

So, is chick starter equivalent to starter grower or all flock? Sorry I'm new to the feed terms.

Starter would be more like all flock but likely with more protein, whereas layer contains extra calcium for strong eggshells.

With just the two choices and the starter being non medicated, I would keep them on the starter until you start getting eggs, then you can switch over if you prefer.

So, is chick starter equivalent to starter grower or all flock? Sorry I'm new to the feed terms.
Starter, and grower are fairly interchangeable terms, that's why I use both. They both should be roughly 18-20% protein which I recommend for backyard flocks, especially if you are feeding extras or treats which can dilute the daily protein intake and cause deficiencies.

Minimum daily requirements for laying hens is 16% protein which most layer is. You have no leeway for extras, and layer is formulated to be fed to actively laying hens as the sole ration. Feeding extra can lead to deficiencies that you don't usually see until birds are between 1-2 years.

An all flock or flock raised is formulated to be fed to multiple species and ages of poultry. So it's a good all around feed that can be fed year round.

Layer should be stopped when hens go out of lay. A layer has lower protein, but higher calcium. Calcium needs can be met by oyster shells offered free choice.

Starter, and grower are fairly interchangeable terms, that's why I use both. They both should be roughly 18-20% protein which I recommend for backyard flocks, especially if you are feeding extras or treats which can dilute the daily protein intake and cause deficiencies.

Minimum daily requirements for laying hens is 16% protein which most layer is. You have no leeway for extras, and layer is formulated to be fed to actively laying hens as the sole ration. Feeding extra can lead to deficiencies that you don't usually see until birds are between 1-2 years.

An all flock or flock raised is formulated to be fed to multiple species and ages of poultry. So it's a good all around feed that can be fed year round.

Layer should be stopped when hens go out of lay. A layer has lower protein, but higher calcium. Calcium needs can be met by oyster shells offered free choice.

It sounds like I should just stick to the chick starter and supplement calcium. I do give them a lot of extras, mostly stuff from my garden and they are fed grass clippings and weeds. Thank you!

It sounds like I should just stick to the chick starter and supplement calcium. I do give them a lot of extras, mostly stuff from my garden and they are fed grass clippings and weeds. Thank you!

That's exactly what I would do, if All-Flock 20% protein isn't available to you. It's a lot easier to just have oyster shell or crushed egg shells on the side for the girls to self regulate.

One thing I learned is if you give any types of treats to your chicks be sure they have access to grit to digest their food. I did something simple, got a cardboard box a bottom to a case of soda and put in a couple shovels of dirt. They could hop in and out,pick out grit and to watch them take their first dust bath was adorable! I probably did things wrong but I kept them on chick starter slowly mixing in laying crumbles (12 weeks) I then started mixing in pellets (16 weeks) so right now 5 months it’s mixed.

That's exactly what I would do, if All-Flock 20% protein isn't available to you. It's a lot easier to just have oyster shell or crushed egg shells on the side for the girls to self regulate.

It is available, but it's about double to triple the price if I get it at the store as opposed from directly from my local mill!

Back
Top Bottom