A flock with bumblefoot: Journey back to health

I've followed this thread from the beginning as I, too am having some bumblefoot issues. Primarily with my Lt Brahmas. I get one taken care of and healed and then there is another or two. Thank goodness I only have 2 Brahmas. Only one of my others has ever had an issue and it was only once. No recurrence. I think that I would definitely try the liquid skin as the directions are for people who would normally wash their hands several times a day - at least I like to think so. Even though the chickens walk and scratch in the dirt, unless it's especially rainy I think it might be worth a shot. JMHO

I have wondered many times if the bumble started in the inside and burst to make the scab (like and abcess) or the bumble started on the outside due to injury and scabbed?

x2
lol.png

Wow, talk about trial by fire!

I think you've done a great job in treating and documenting it here will help many keepers face this problem, thanks to the OP for that.

Lots of good info from some of the contributors to this thread, especially the product/equipment links.

I am glad I came across this thread..I have ordered two different surgical needs now. :D I think taking care of bumble foot, will be easier because of them.

Day 42 Treatment (Saturday)

VERY. EXCITING. UPDATE.
big_smile.png

1. Robin and Goldie #1 are now officially bandage free! Their pads are well healed, and they have no blister problems that would prevent them from having all bandages off! Woo hoo!
-Robin's fully healed foot:

-Goldie #1's fully healed foot:

2. Ro is actually looking pretty GOOD. I can't think of the last time I could say that. I think the magnapaste was pretty helpful to her this time around. The blisters, while still there, were much less "angry" looking, and I could easily remove the scab without causing a ton of bleeding. Under the scabs, the skin looked better healed. I flushed everything out really well with betadine, then went back to vetericyn spray with neosporin on the gauze pads under the vet wrap. Here are both of the feet:

3. Pretty Girl continues to look better. She was less squirmy this time, but I still wasn't able to get a picture of her.

4. Goldie #2 was also on the mend. Her worst foot has made a ton of improvement too. I also flushed, treated, and re-wrapped.

Her other foot, which had been unwrapped, but then re-wrapped when a scab reappeared, looked basically fine. The little scab plucked right off again, and I probably could have left it unwrapped, but I figured it was better to just flush, retreat, and re-wrap one more time to hopefully get this fully resolved rather than swinging back and forth between ok and borderline.

I had another thought about the blisters. I didn't really document this, so it's just a guess, but at about the time that I think the blisters started showing up, I actually changed what I was using as gauze padding under the vet wrap. At the beginning of the process, I used sterile non-stick pads, like these. But I eventually ran out, and when I went to replace them, the store was out, so I bought gauze pads, like these. I think the blisters showed up around the time I made the switch. I eventually ran out of the gauze pads, and unintentionally went back to the sterile non-stick pads, which I began using again the last time I did the bandage change. Which is also coincidentally when the blisters started looking better. Maybe it matters, maybe not, but I think for the rest of this ordeal I will use the non-stick pads exclusively.
C:\Users\egrogan\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.gif

Last edited:
Day 42 Treatment (Saturday)

VERY. EXCITING. UPDATE.
big_smile.png

1. Robin and Goldie #1 are now officially bandage free! Their pads are well healed, and they have no blister problems that would prevent them from having all bandages off! Woo hoo!
-Robin's fully healed foot:

-Goldie #1's fully healed foot:

2. Ro is actually looking pretty GOOD. I can't think of the last time I could say that. I think the magnapaste was pretty helpful to her this time around. The blisters, while still there, were much less "angry" looking, and I could easily remove the scab without causing a ton of bleeding. Under the scabs, the skin looked better healed. I flushed everything out really well with betadine, then went back to vetericyn spray with neosporin on the gauze pads under the vet wrap. Here are both of the feet:

3. Pretty Girl continues to look better. She was less squirmy this time, but I still wasn't able to get a picture of her.

4. Goldie #2 was also on the mend. Her worst foot has made a ton of improvement too. I also flushed, treated, and re-wrapped.

Her other foot, which had been unwrapped, but then re-wrapped when a scab reappeared, looked basically fine. The little scab plucked right off again, and I probably could have left it unwrapped, but I figured it was better to just flush, retreat, and re-wrap one more time to hopefully get this fully resolved rather than swinging back and forth between ok and borderline.

I had another thought about the blisters. I didn't really document this, so it's just a guess, but at about the time that I think the blisters started showing up, I actually changed what I was using as gauze padding under the vet wrap. At the beginning of the process, I used sterile non-stick pads, like these. But I eventually ran out, and when I went to replace them, the store was out, so I bought gauze pads, like these. I think the blisters showed up around the time I made the switch. I eventually ran out of the gauze pads, and unintentionally went back to the sterile non-stick pads, which I began using again the last time I did the bandage change. Which is also coincidentally when the blisters started looking better. Maybe it matters, maybe not, but I think for the rest of this ordeal I will use the non-stick pads exclusively.
C:\Users\egrogan\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.gif
thumbsup.gif
They are all looking great….you are our local expert now.
Not joking, you have done a remarkable job. 42 days of fighting this would have had me in tears. Thanks so much for sharing your experience…photos are great.

thumbsup.gif
They are all looking great….you are our local expert now.
Not joking, you have done a remarkable job. 42 days of fighting this would have had me in tears. Thanks so much for sharing your experience…photos are great

Without a doubt!

Back
Top Bottom