A flock with bumblefoot: Journey back to health

You are such a good chicken mama taking such loving care of your girls...I'm sure they're getting spoiled rotten by now!!
gig.gif

Thanks for your support IW! It definitely helps.

I don't know who's reading this, but if anyone is following along and feels like I'm making mistakes or doing something wrong, please do let me know. I'm sort of making this up as I go, and I am very open to advice.

Remember back earlier when you said, in part:
Quote: I still think this is your major problem-causer for your girls. Is there any way you can get ahold of some of that cheap green plastic "wannabe" chicken wire and literally cordon off that area so you girls can't get in there?

Yes , I was following too. They are a lot of work and you have a few to deal with. My roo had one that was huge and I got a kernel out the 2nd time. However, it looked like two more bumps forming. Sometimes I think that they can get them from a bruise.

I wish they all popped out under the scab!

Good job!

Remember back earlier when you said, in part:
I still think this is your major problem-causer for your girls. Is there any way you can get ahold of some of that cheap green plastic "wannabe" chicken wire and literally cordon off that area so you girls can't get in there?

I definitely hear you on this. We have a lot of land, and they range over a fair portion of it. They also go into my neighbor's property (with his permission), so there's no way I could fence any of that off. His woodpile is one of their favorite areas (bugs, I guess), but I'm sure also a splintery place to hang out. I think your question is really a matter of "should they free range, or should they not," because I just don't think I could completely control where they go.

I guess to me, the benefits of free ranging make it worthwhile- if there is such a thing as "chicken mental health," I definitely think they are better off when they get time outside, even though they have a pretty large pen.

But I will think definitely think about whether there's anything else I could do.

No big updates today. We are facing a rainy, stormy day, so I'm not going to change any bandages today since they'll just get wet and dirty. Will have to do a mass change tomorrow though, as I hate the thought of all those feet with soggy bandages. Makes me wish I had a reasonable indoor area to herd everyone into- there's no way they'd stay in the coop all day though.

I wish they all popped out under the scab!

I really do to!

I don't know if I'm just imaging this happened, but I think a couple of weeks ago I actually saw a bird pull a scab out of her foot. It was the sort of thing I saw out of the corner of my eye, but I could swear I saw her extract a long, black thing from her foot. Splinter? Scab/kernel? Who knows. I think this was right before I started treating. Duh! I should have thought to look at feet then.

This is what I do with tough ones. For 5 or so days, I buy this stuff called Magnapaste or like that at a tack store for horses. It's an Epsom salt gel. I goop it on the foot and wrap, usually at night so they are in one place for the night. It might help to wet the gauze as well. But it gives me a good soak for hours x 5 days. That might shrink that thing enough that you can feel it move around. And that may decide whether you should attempt a cut. Like a slit in the skin may let you see what's in there. Look at it this way, you have to do something. Magnapaste mixes real well with a bit of iodine or betadine as well.

If you think you should, maybe put her on antibiotics at the same time. Like Pen G injectable 0.5 ml x 5 days. LS 50 powder in the water, or anything that kills staph. It might also help shrink that thing.

Sometimes I cut off a baggy and put that over the foot with the goop inside and wrap it all up and around the ankle.

Maybe I've given you some methods or maybe it sparks a method of your own. I'd like to hear what happens.

This is what I do with tough ones. For 5 or so days, I buy this stuff called Magnapaste or like that at a tack store for horses. It's an Epsom salt gel. I goop it on the foot and wrap, usually at night so they are in one place for the night. It might help to wet the gauze as well. But it gives me a good soak for hours x 5 days. That might shrink that thing enough that you can feel it move around. And that may decide whether you should attempt a cut. Like a slit in the skin may let you see what's in there. Look at it this way, you have to do something. Magnapaste mixes real well with a bit of iodine or betadine as well.

If you think you should, maybe put her on antibiotics at the same time. Like Pen G injectable 0.5 ml x 5 days. LS 50 powder in the water, or anything that kills staph. It might also help shrink that thing.

Sometimes I cut off a baggy and put that over the foot with the goop inside and wrap it all up and around the ankle.

Maybe I've given you some methods or maybe it sparks a method of your own. I'd like to hear what happens.

Thanks Seminole- the Magnapaste sounds like a great product, not something I've used before but I have a wonderful tack shop close by and will see what I can track down. Do you have to rinse it off each day? I wonder if leaving it on there, you risk being too aggressive on how you're treating the skin topically?

I will have a helper back this weekend and with someone to hold the bird I am much more comfortable getting the foot open and getting all the gunk out once and for all!

I've been on the fence about the antiobiotics. I guess my preference is not too unless I really need to. I'm no vet, but health wise, aside from the feet everyone seems healthy. Egg production has stayed steady through all this, everyone is eating and drinking, combs are bright red, everyone's moving around, feet and legs don't feel hot anymore. So I don't know, it doesn't seem necessary to my amateur eye?

Back
Top Bottom