A Free Ranger, anyone know of this breed?

SuperK

Songster
6 Years
Mar 9, 2015
Big lsland of Hawaii- Puna District

JoAnn and I were out today looking for our new digs when we almost ran this guy over. He and his mate were foraging in the road and took off into the jungle just to the right [of the photo] in the general direction of an unseen house planted deep among the Ohia trees. Hawaii is known for its Feral chickens, cats and pigs but this guy is too nice looking to have the title feral. Then again he was skittish and hustled into the brush as we drove down the road. Since he looks pretty robust and appears to be able to fend for himself and his mate, this breed may well be the starting point for our flock when we settle in; providing we know what to ask for at the hatchery! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Super K

Kalij pheasant... says they were introduced into Hawaii, so I think they might be wild... gorgeous, and very nice pic!
smile.png

I agree. Feral Kalij Pheasants are now quite common in Hawaii. There is an good article on Hawaiian Kalij Pheasants at http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hi?Animals.kalij.

Back
Top Bottom