A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

Whew, I just read this whole thread, what year is it? Heh.

So I've begun to think about upgrading our current hatchery flock to a better bred buncha birds. I'm in love with orpingtons. I wanted to get jubilee orps, but after reading YHF's heartfelt plea on preserving original varieties of fowl, we have decided to go with a recognized color. I'm just wondering if it would be inappropriate to start with blue as a beginner, even though you all suggest black or white. And I'm also trying to decide if we truly want to go with LF or to head into bantam land. I actually hadn't even considered doing bantams until this thread, but the space issue that you all brought up is a good one, I can raise a whole lot more bantams than I can LF, especially with such big birds. I havent ordered my copy of the SOP, and I won't until I decide on sizes.

Whew, I just read this whole thread, what year is it? Heh.

So I've begun to think about upgrading our current hatchery flock to a better bred buncha birds. I'm in love with orpingtons. I wanted to get jubilee orps, but after reading YHF's heartfelt plea on preserving original varieties of fowl, we have decided to go with a recognized color. I'm just wondering if it would be inappropriate to start with blue as a beginner, even though you all suggest black or white. And I'm also trying to decide if we truly want to go with LF or to head into bantam land. I actually hadn't even considered doing bantams until this thread, but the space issue that you all brought up is a good one, I can raise a whole lot more bantams than I can LF, especially with such big birds. I havent ordered my copy of the SOP, and I won't until I decide on sizes.

I decided on large, I am still trying to train my eye and lower numbers are still a challenge, freezer gets my culls instead of trying to find a buyer, I prefer larger eggs also.

I decided on large, I am still trying to train my eye and lower numbers are still a challenge, freezer gets my culls instead of trying to find a buyer, I prefer larger eggs also.

I suppose the greater question would be, can I find blue Orpington stock in either bantam or LF worth breeding from in my area or in a travelable distance. And moreover, is there an experienced Orpington breeder near me. I'm in central Florida, for the record, near the west half of the state.

I havent ordered my copy of the SOP, and I won't until I decide on sizes.

The APA Standard of Perfection contains both large fowl and bantams. Other than the weight specifications, the standard for a breed is the same, whether bantam or LF. Bantams are meant to be identical to their larger counter-parts, except being approximately 1/5 the size.

So, order away.
smile.png
Absolutely no reason to wait. The first 40 pages are the "bible" of the chicken breeder fancy and applies to all breeds.

The APA Standard of Perfection contains both large fowl and bantams.  Other than the weight specifications, the standard for a breed is the same, whether bantam or LF.  Bantams are meant to be identical to their larger counter-parts, except being approximately 1/5 the size.

So, order away.  :)    Absolutely no reason to wait.  The first 40 pages are the "bible" of the chicken breeder fancy and applies to all breeds.

Good to know. For some reason I thought the ABA had a different book. I'm ordering it as we speak

Good to know. For some reason I thought the ABA had a different book. I'm ordering it as we speak

The ABA has its own Standard and the association focus only on bantams, no LF. Either would be fine as there is no meaningful differences in breed standards between them. The APA version is extremely helpful and educational. The ABA is often seen as the more progressive organization.

signed,

A member of both.
wink.png

Last edited:
Who knew keeping poultry would result in so much homework! Good thing I like this homework. *scampers off to read*

Yep, the learning never stops. I spent 2 years reading everything I could get my eyes on about poultry husbandry before buying my first chicken. Then my real education began. I still go back to my stack of books from the early 1900s, and most definitely my poultry genetics book, but I've also learned so much by watching and handling the birds.

Who knew keeping poultry would result in so much homework! Good thing I like this homework. *scampers off to read*

Yep, the learning never stops. I spent 2 years reading everything I could get my eyes on about poultry husbandry before buying my first chicken. Then my real education began. I still go back to my stack of books from the early 1900s, and most definitely my poultry genetics book, but I've also learned so much by watching and handling the birds.

Yup. and then along comes your mentor(s) and other long time breeders who teach you things you'll never, ever get from reading books. So much of the most important "stuff" is not science. It's an art form. And most of it is passed down through oral traditions only.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom