A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

Matt, you are aware that my question is regarding a nonstandard breed as we have had this conversation privately.  I was asking the potential importance of this condition for an "egg laying breed" as opposed to a meat or heavy dual purpose breed where a split breast would affect carcass quality.  In your opinion, if a bird does not have a standard then it is not a breed.  I disagree, and that's okay.  

Apparently this is not an issue in game birds and is more an expression of muscling as I read the other source being quoted here.  This is not a case of uneven or undeveloped muscling on one side, but rather appears to be more overmuscling of the breast equally on both sides.

Yellow House, I posted here because I could not find any information and this section seemed like a good place to start.  In a type of bird with a very limited gene pool, culling is important as always AND we have to pick the most important traits to focus on first.  My question was an effort to classify this trait into its proper place on the culling curve and the answer seems to be "it depends."  

Some people in some breeds cull first for things like color and egg color...these are far down my list.  Production conformation (type), health, longevity of production are far more important than the color of a hackle for instance.  The number, position, and amount of feathering on a bird's leg or foot don't affect its health or production generally, but show breeders in some breeds will cull for these types of things with hardly a thought to the production characteristics of the breed.  Each to their own.

Thanks to everyone for the references and suggestions for search terms.

I actually didn't recognize the screen name, or even look at it. Was just giving advice and assumed it was a standard breed because of what thread the question was in.

Isbars don't have a standard here or anywhere else in the world. That is likely why you can't find an answer. Split breast doesn't affect egg production, and since there's no standard, breed for any cosmetic issues you like. Already told you that though.

OK, so I just saw your pics below. Though I have no experience breeding those, per se; my gut reaction is that I would imagine that split breast would be a serious fault. If it is a recessive trait, as Karen suggested, than you definitely want to cull it, because if it takes hold you'll have a bear of a time removing it. On the other hand, insofar as they're not standard-bred fowl and have very little chance of being recognized, I wouldn't think it would actually matter because I can't imagine split breast impacting egg production. It will, however, damage the gene pool for future improvements.

Good luck with those.

Apparently many breed standards don't mention split breast at all, as fault or otherwise, from what I am reading of the "other" forum being referenced here.

I say that it is because the opposite is addressed. It is part of what implied in the breast description that reads "well rounded". A "well rounded" breast would not be split and would not be cut off in sharp descent to shank.

Well, I'm not sure if it is recessive, I've not researched it. If you've discovered that it is recessive, and it is expressing itself that means that the gene is strong in the gene pool. As Matt clearly stated, one would cull it, and cull every bird that expresses it, because if it is recessive and expressing that means that it homogenous for it, which means it will give the gene to all progeny.

Back
Top Bottom