A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

An update on the wings that I've been waiting to mature. I'm feeding a large number of birds that may not make the cut, hoping that they will change. Every male still has wings that don't look correct. They either look split or slipped or the primaries don't fold correctly, and they all have an different number of wing feathers Here's one example. Photos taken at 21 wks. Recreated Delawares, 5th generation. This guy has size, weight (7 lb. 5 oz.) & color in his favor. In addition to the wings, I'm not wild about his topline. His underline/breast is one of the better of the bunch.

P19

Left wing

Right wing

An update on the wings that I've been waiting to mature. I'm feeding a large number of birds that may not make the cut, hoping that they will change. Every male still has wings that don't look correct. They either look split or slipped or the primaries don't fold correctly, and they all have an different number of wing feathers Here's one example. Photos taken at 21 wks. Recreated Delawares, 5th generation. This guy has size, weight (7 lb. 5 oz.) & color in his favor. In addition to the wings, I'm not wild about his topline. His underline/breast is one of the better of the bunch.

P19

Left wing

Right wing
Yes we are getting a lot of that also - see the solid black edge on the wing feather edge - I think that compounds the deficiency - Its usually only one wing - Guess we could turn them around at a show LOL

We folks can pick-up stock here at the farm, at any of the New England Shows or at the Ohio National.

Again, this is a project for someone with, or at least willing to learn, a proper breeder's mentality and husbandry practices. This is not a "my pet chicken" sort of project.

Best,

Yellow House Farm

Joseph, I hope you find just the right person to take this generous offer of yours and run with it.

I have a question for all you genetics proficients. Actually, two questions.

First, a bit of background. I have one, just one, hen that is half Silver Campine and I thought half white EE. Well, she lays light brown eggs (they would be blue/green if she were half EE) so I am now thinking she is SC/SLW. She has been in the pen with the Urch birds (cock and three hens) and I hatched a couple of dozen of her eggs. Some of the chicks (3/4 SCs) are nice examples, some have too much white, and some are "washed out" in their barring.

Here is my question. What is the genetic cause of this washing out of the black to a dark grey? Is it possibly a blue or lavender gene that showed up? Is there some other common cause for washed out black barring?

I have a precarious grasp on how barring works (color, no color, determined by growth rate, etc.) but what about lacing? The 3/4 SC are showing some indication that they have some lacing and some barring, but I have noticed that even the pure, Urch birds have similar markings in their breast feathers. I know NOTHING about this feather pattern. Can anyone give me the Cliff Notes on lacing?

P19

Left wing

Right wing

Can anyone give me the Cliff Notes on lacing?
Here ya go:
single laced. http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=chi.087299559;view=2up;seq=46
There is also a chapter on double laced coloring.

Yes we are getting a lot of that also - see the solid black edge on the wing feather edge - I think that compounds the deficiency - Its usually only one wing - Guess we could turn them around at a show LOL

finnfur,
what is the color of the underwing supposed to be? all white?

I'm not sure what he is describing, unless it is that there are places on the wing that show more solid black - it should be irregular black & white barring with more black than white.

Just reread the standard description and looked at Figure 37 to check. I don't think the color of the primaries & secondaries are too far off. The bizarre thing that I just noticed is that the quills are all white on the underside, which is correct, but show some black (barring) on the outside. So, the quills are a different color on one side than the other. I didn't think that was possible.

Kim, don't make any determination about the wings until all feathers are in. There should be 10 primaries and 10 secondaries with the axial feather between them for a total of 21 feathers in each wing.

Walt

Kim like Walt said, you still have some time. In a 3-4 wks, you will see what you have. His tail should be finished or close by then.

The wing color is closer.

Keep an eye on that under color.

Unless it is the picture, would like to see more legs. They appear to be centered well, and strong. He seams to have nice width. His neck is nicely arched, and the color is an improvement.

It doesn't create competition in your breed, but it does create competition in your (AOSB) class. Also, as you develop relationship the other poulterers in the region, it's where you learn much of what will eventually make you a breeder. Studying the SOP and then studying birds at shows are outstanding ways to expand you understanding in a hands-on manner. Mentors will start showing you neat, thitherto unimagined tricks. In truth, you have to see thorough-bred birds to start to understand what a standard-bred chicken actually looks like; herewith I don't mean in your breed alone, but rather, standard-bred birds possess a common, for lack of better term, essence of excellence. It is a unique combination of symmetry, weight, type, and feather quality; these four elements really frame a fowl. It is in seeing them all together that you can begin to develop the firm image you need to direct your own breedings. Indeed, I refer to it as Chicken Church. It's where you go to get inspired, refreshed in your thinking, and confirmed in your determination.

There is a VT contingency that comes, perhaps your goal can be to connect with them. The APA District 1 director is from VT.

Best,

Joseph

Thank you!

I'm not sure what he is describing, unless it is that there are places on the wing that show more solid black - it should be irregular black & white barring with more black than white.

Just reread the standard description and looked at Figure 37 to check. I don't think the color of the primaries & secondaries are too far off. The bizarre thing that I just noticed is that the quills are all white on the underside, which is correct, but show some black (barring) on the outside. So, the quills are a different color on one side than the other. I didn't think that was possible.
Yes - it appears the web or surface has barring on one side of the shaft - and on the other more black .
Sorry had to go get my APA to get my terminology right - remember your dealing with a novice here.
I just make observations while learning.
Walt's coon probably knows more than me- but to be fair he's been at it longer.

Back
Top Bottom