A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

LOL I'll bite....here's the cock/cockeral pen turned out for the day to "help" while I turn over a fall garden. We're in Alabama and FINALLY have some cool weather. 87 by end of week
barnie.gif
My favorite cockeral is at 27-37ish

0.jpg

To be honest, I'd like to evaluate at 2 yr.s, but that is not feasible at this point. I'll give them 8 months. They are a slow growing breed, and some have obvious flaws. I wanted to grow out more, but I had a coccidia outbreak that left me with half of what I would have liked. Live and learn.

They are a very mild mannered breed (this strain anyway) so I hope to be able to at least have till December to make my choice/choices. It may only be 1 of them that I breed from next year, but I still have their fathers as well.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback. I've noticed that, but I don't think that is the case. They have a real problem with loose feathering especially evident with the pullets and hens.

I'll lay hands on them soon, and any roached backs will be dealt with accordingly! Any tips on how best to handle an 8 lb bird to feel for a straight vs. crooked back?

Thank you for the feedback. I've noticed that, but I don't think that is the case. They have a real problem with loose feathering especially evident with the pullets and hens.
Bob Blosl one stated that if you could increase egg production by 25 eggs a year, it would help tighten up the loose feathering.
I don't know why it works.
Best,
Karen

Hold them facing toward you and run your finger tips down their spine. Some will have it and not even be noticeable visually. I check every bird before penning them when they get their first adult feathering, and if I find one I ring their neck on the spot that way one doesn't slip by . Pullets will have it too but it's more common in cockerels and I couldn't tell you why that is.

ok -- I grabbed a few at breakfast this morning and although I'm not 100% sure what a chicken back should feel like (flat as a pancake??), it seems like it is a multitude of fluff under emerging saddle feathers. I'll leave them out in the next downpour and see what they look like soaking wet. I have no qualms setting aside a few in a fattening pen. They are known for their gourmet quality meat after all.

Do you have any idea at what point (how many generations) you have an acceptable level of culls for this trait? I guess I'm asking, if you never breed from a bad back, does it ever breed out of that flock or just go down to 1/50 or ??

Back
Top Bottom