A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

To keep records of which pairings produced which chick, it requires lots of pens for single matings. Let's say, three or four small pens, each with a female. You can easily rotate the male through these pens for matings, as he only really needs to mate each hen every 5th day. More often, if you wish.

This way, you have records of both the dam and the sire.

To speed things up or to accommodate more breedings than space would allow, I most often breed trios. In this scenario, those small pens have two females in them, through which I rotate the cockbird. However, those doubled up females are sisters, so I feel confident my record keeping is still maximized and informs my judging of the outcomes later on.

I hope to have some pair matings this year. I just culled down to the best 6 cockerals. Haven't looked real hard at the pullets yet, but I need to put that on the list.

I hadn't thought of using full sisters in a trio. That's a great idea with no trap nesting involved.

I hope to have some pair matings this year. I just culled down to the best 6 cockerals. Haven't looked real hard at the pullets yet, but I need to put that on the list. 

I hadn't thought of using full sisters in a trio. That's a great idea with no trap nesting involved.

Do you keep your cockerals all together or in different coops?

greywolf1962 -- I have Dorkings which are a fairly mild breed. They live with an adult cock who reminds them of their manners every once in a while, but all in all, they get along very well in the 10x10 shed and let out to range as a flock quite a bit. I'm not sure if they will be able to stay together once breeding season starts, but we'll see. The problem usually comes when you take one out for breeding and then try to put him back.

To keep records of which pairings produced which chick, it requires lots of pens for single matings. Let's say, three or four small pens, each with a female. You can easily rotate the male through these pens for matings, as he only really needs to mate each hen every 5th day. More often, if you wish.

This way, you have records of both the dam and the sire.

To speed things up or to accommodate more breedings than space would allow, I most often breed trios. In this scenario, those small pens have two females in them, through which I rotate the cockbird. However, those doubled up females are sisters, so I feel confident my record keeping is still maximized and informs my judging of the outcomes later on.

Thank you for the insight Fred.

I will have to do some more thinking on how to accomplish this type of set up with my current situation.

For now I may have to breed in trios and monitor for type. If I find a type I want or don't want I can separate that trio into pairs and see which bird is producing what. I can breed in pairs on a VERY small scale right now (small = 1 pen available). I can then work on developing the facilities to breed in pairs. I do have a market for eggs so the culled pullets would work in the laying pens OR as sales to local Amish - who are constantly asking if I have WPRs to sell them.

Do you keep your cockerals all together or in different coops?

Together until it becomes a problem. Different breeds/strains would be at a different point. Some are more competitive than others. Experience has taught me that raising them where they cannot see the females, means less competition. I can keep them together longer.

Qty. of feeders and water stations is important if you care that they have equal opportunity, and good even growth. They will need additional space, and dominant birds will make there claims to the feeders etc. A lot of the competition goes unseen by us.

It is not just what you are able to do, but to manage an environment that promotes good solid even growth. Keep your eyes on cockerels that are more reluctant to come off of the roost etc. Handle them and be certain that they are kept in good flesh. There will always be birds on the bottom of the pecking order, unless you have a single bird. Be careful about this being part of the selection process.

At some point I do house some cockerels individually. I will rotate them with some pullets to keep them 'fresh'. I prefer the cockerels by themselves to see the females, and other birds. They tolerate being on the periphery well, but not complete isolation. These birds should be let out periodically to roam. We should be mindful of the individual bird's physical and mental condition. If they can see other birds, and have a perch where they crow to the world, they are generally ok.

Some gamecock breeders keep their many males on tie cords. I would be concerned about hawks and owls, but I assure you the birds would prefer this over a 4' x 4' dark pen in isolation. In this setting they can be moved along on grass, access to the outdoors, able to see other birds, and can perch on top of their huts to declare their claim. Well fed, these birds are generally in very good condition.

This is more than you asked, but it is my opinion that extra males should be managed appropriately. Maybe this will give someone an idea or two.

Gjensen, wow that was a lot of info, thank you very much for sharing. I'll have to put some of that to use in my hen house as well. This weekend I'll be adding feeders.thanks again.

Together until it becomes a problem. Different breeds/strains would be at a different point. Some are more competitive than others. Experience has taught me that raising them where they cannot see the females, means less competition. I can keep them together longer.

Qty. of feeders and water stations is important if you care that they have equal opportunity, and good even growth. They will need additional space, and dominant birds will make there claims to the feeders etc. A lot of the competition goes unseen by us.

It is not just what you are able to do, but to manage an environment that promotes good solid even growth. Keep your eyes on cockerels that are more reluctant to come off of the roost etc. Handle them and be certain that they are kept in good flesh. There will always be birds on the bottom of the pecking order, unless you have a single bird. Be careful about this being part of the selection process.

At some point I do house some cockerels individually. I will rotate them with some pullets to keep them 'fresh'. I prefer the cockerels by themselves to see the females, and other birds. They tolerate being on the periphery well, but not complete isolation. These birds should be let out periodically to roam. We should be mindful of the individual bird's physical and mental condition. If they can see other birds, and have a perch where they crow to the world, they are generally ok.

Some gamecock breeders keep their many males on tie cords. I would be concerned about hawks and owls, but I assure you the birds would prefer this over a 4' x 4' dark pen in isolation. In this setting they can be moved along on grass, access to the outdoors, able to see other birds, and can perch on top of their huts to declare their claim. Well fed, these birds are generally in very good condition.

This is more than you asked, but it is my opinion that extra males should be managed appropriately. Maybe this will give someone an idea or two.
Very good advice as I will start hatching a lot this spring. I needed this info.
highfive.gif

This is more than you asked, but it is my opinion that extra males should be managed appropriately. Maybe this will give someone an ide
Please disregard, tried to take down a post, but the quote part is still up here. Oh well.

Last edited:
Could I please get advice on this cockerel? I like so many things about him but I'm worried about his comb. Would the bumps at the back be considered sprigs? Would you choose him as a breeder? If not, why not? He's nearly seven months and nearly seven pounds. Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom