A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

@Yellow House Farm -- Joseph, is consideration of the spread between the keel and pelvis (and between the pelvis bones) the same or as important in a cock as in the hen? I know that I want to feel a straight, long keel, and a flat back, but is the larger gap as important? Obviously, I cannot wait until the cockerels are in lay to evaluate it
tongue.png
but should it carry any weight in my decision, other than culling if the space is minimal? We talked about that while handling hens, I wasn't sure.

@Yellow House Farm -- Joseph, is consideration of the spread between the keel and pelvis (and between the pelvis bones) the same or as important in a cock as in the hen? I know that I want to feel a straight, long keel, and a flat back, but is the larger gap as important? Obviously, I cannot wait until the cockerels are in lay to evaluate it
tongue.png
but should it carry any weight in my decision, other than culling if the space is minimal? We talked about that while handling hens, I wasn't sure.
In theory, yes, although the space is smaller. It's not something I worry about intently with the males. Over time, if you focus on the females, th e males will follow suit. Of course, if you focused on the males, too, that trait might be fixed even faster. Nevertheless, with breeds at this level of developemtn, one is often, as has been my experience, balancing so many traits at once that it's a bit of a dance.

PS: What a stunning photo. It's at moments like this A) that you realize your efforts are, and are going to, pay off B) that you are daily enjoying a sight that in North America is very, very rare: a flock of Silver Campines. I know of no one working with them with the same level of dedication.

Nevertheless, with breeds at this level of development, one is often, as has been my experience, balancing so many traits at once that it's a bit of a dance.
A bit of a dance, yes, that is a better image than the one I had. Mine was more like herding cats. Chase this one, then that one, catch one for a bit, only to lose it while chasing another to put with it.

PS: What a stunning photo. It's at moments like this A) that you realize your efforts are, and are going to, pay off B) that you are daily enjoying a sight that in North America is very, very rare: a flock of Silver Campines. I know of no one working with them with the same level of dedication.
I feel this way, they are stunning, in spite of the fact that most of them "are crap."
big_smile.png

I know of two breeders that have them in the US, both are concentrating on other breeds and have the Campines as a pass time and both of those have Golden Campines that get more of their attention than the Silvers. By the way, if any of you run across anyone, anywhere that is breeding them to standard, please pass along their contact information so I can network with them.

I have been communicating with a man in Belgium that is reintroducing Campines to their birthplace. He recently hatched the first Campines, Silvers, that have existed in the original Campine region in over 60 years! He wanted me to send him hatching eggs, but I didn't think mine were really what he wanted. He needs European blood, mine are too much a work in progress. Perhaps I can help him in a few years when my line is more stable. I also found a breeder in Australia that sent me some helpful literature and an article on breeding Campines he prepared for a seminar at a show in Australia. There are many more breeders raising Silver Campines over there, and their birds are decades ahead of ours.

Someone on BYC was rude and argumentative with him and he no longer comes here.

Back
Top Bottom