A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

Excellent pics, guys!

Wisher, your birds have made great strides, and it's important to point out that you make every attempt to "walk the walk," and your birds are showing the mark. The broody pic is hilarious, beautiful, and aptly illustrative of my point.

Nice feather quality on that RC leghorn, type, vigor, and butter yellow shanks.

WOW.   I'm not a Leghorn person, but that bird makes me smile.  There's a beauty in such nice balance.

She is very well balanced. Even more so in real life. I couldnt get her to stand still....There is something about a well bred chicken that no matter what breed it is it will stop you in your tracks. Just amazing. Nothing better than standard bred poultry.

Very nice campine!! Good to see someone working hard on them. When right they are absolutely gorgeous birds.

Thank you! I think they are easy to look at when they are not right, but that's just me. LOL!

Excellent pics, guys!

Wisher, your birds have made great strides, and it's important to point out that you make every attempt to "walk the walk," and your birds are showing the mark. The broody pic is hilarious, beautiful, and aptly illustrative of my point.

Nice feather quality on that RC leghorn, type, vigor, and butter yellow shanks.

Thank you, J! I am so pleased with them so far, but they have miles to go before I sleep. I didn't think the broodies were funny at the time, but can see the humor in it now.

I appreciate your critique, and your encouragement, as always, Sir.

ETA: Can't wait to see you in Columbus!

Last edited:
Well, you all have been busy posting replies today! The Silver Campines, Anconas, and Leghorns are truly lovely. It's fascinating to hear about the broodiness in both the Anconas and Campines. I've heard mention of the occasional broody Blue Andalusian and of Lakenvelders disappearing off into the woods only to return 3 weeks later with chicks, but it never seemed to be particularly common among the various Med. and Continental breeds.

Right now my #1 priority will be building breeding pens and separate grow out pens for cockerels and pullets. Once that's in place I will start the search for stock of whatever breed I've settled on.

Leslie -
Unfortunately I just can't make it to the show this year. Are there any shows in Oregon that would be worth going to in 2017? I'm hoping to start showing my geese as well as meeting some more serious chicken people.

Yellow House Farm -
Procuring non-hatchery stock will definitely be the difficult part of getting started. I'm not sure what most breeders charge, but I'd certainly be willing to spend a good bit for a nice trio.

Wisher -
You're welcome to encourage me towards Campines all you want.

Well, you all have been busy posting replies today! The Silver Campines, Anconas, and Leghorns are truly lovely. It's fascinating to hear about the broodiness in both the Anconas and Campines. I've heard mention of the occasional broody Blue Andalusian and of Lakenvelders disappearing off into the woods only to return 3 weeks later with chicks, but it never seemed to be particularly common among the various Med. and Continental breeds.

Right now my #1 priority will be building breeding pens and separate grow out pens for cockerels and pullets. Once that's in place I will start the search for stock of whatever breed I've settled on.

Leslie -
Unfortunately I just can't make it to the show this year. Are there any shows in Oregon that would be worth going to in 2017? I'm hoping to start showing my geese as well as meeting some more serious chicken people.

Yellow House Farm -
Procuring non-hatchery stock will definitely be the difficult part of getting started. I'm not sure what most breeders charge, but I'd certainly be willing to spend a good bit for a nice trio.

Wisher -
You're welcome to encourage me towards Campines all you want.

I'm not a fan of poultry shows in general ... and don't know that I'd want to show locally for a variety of reasons. I feel obliged to go to that particular show for Rip's workshop, and I feel obliged to take birds because he is judging there and is extremely supportive of the breed I work with, though I really don't want to go and haven't decided if I will. I'm just not plugged into the show scene. There's a website that warehouses poultry show info ... http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/poultry-show-dates.html I think this is the big show for the PNPA. The biggest show on the west coast is usually down in Modesto.

I call chicken shows "chicken church." You see everyone, share in progress and difficulty, recommit to doing it right, remember why you don't do it wrong, and generally clean house.

smile.png
Amen.

I call chicken shows "chicken church." You see everyone, share in progress and difficulty, recommit to doing it right, remember why you don't do it wrong, and generally clean house.
Do you hold potlucks?

I couldn't resist - all of my grandparents are Southern Babtist and I almost think they attend church more for the food than the gospel.

Back
Top Bottom