A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

I, too am Southern Baptist, we feed the body and the soul!
big_smile.png
EVERYBODY loves an "eatin' meetin'!" Besides, it's the only way some of us can get our spouses in the pews.
lau.gif

Last edited:
Would love to find a mentor close to me since mine has temporarily gone on a four year work journey. No one working in Wyandotte is working with the Columbian variety. So I find information and support here. Everyone is so helpful and the knowledge shared is so appreciated.

Would love to find a mentor close to me since mine has temporarily gone on a four year work journey. No one working in Wyandotte is working with the Columbian variety. So I find information and support here. Everyone is so helpful and the knowledge shared is so appreciated.

There's a gentleman in Ohio who probably has the best around. His name escapes me, but I'll find it.

Monk? Monke?

Don monke. I know he has good white wyandottes. Didnt know he had columbians too

Don no longer has Columbians. He shared his breed stock with a select few other breeders.
Larry Dye in Oklahoma has Whites and I have a few of his Whites. Larry used to breed Columbian too. There are only seven breeders with the Columbian variety that are members of the Wyandotte Breeders of America organization....down from 10 last year.
I'm a life member of the WBA.
The Columbian Wyandotte has a FB page, but many are breeding the Bantam. Rob Newborn from Idaho started the page and is a BYC member.

Last edited:
Just wanted to boast a little bit. I am finally going to start breeding SOP large fowl. I have decided on New Hampshires. The breeder that is going to sell me a trio has been crossing Germans on Good Shepherd lines. He says they are good type and are also excellent producers. Any New Hampshire advice would be welcomed!

I am located in Nebraska. They are coming from Jeremy Woeppel of XW poultry ranch. I originally called him because I knew he had some pretty good barred rocks. Very nice guy. While I was on the phone he mentioned that he was now raising New Hampshires. I did a little research and really like what I see with these New Hampshires. Part of it is I like a red bird. One of the practical things I like better is that, from what I read, these New Hampshires can feather fast while the barreds should really feather out slowly. I am a practical guy so I really wanted a variety that would blend show quality with the true dual purpose of a chicken. At this point my mind is made up on the New Hampshire.

Mind you, I have never raised any SOP New Hampshires. In fact, I have never had anything but hatchery stock. All my knowledge comes from other sources, but I really think these would be great to start with.

Back
Top Bottom