A little advice, please?

Saymay91

Chirping
May 6, 2018
NC
I got a lot of good feedback last night. Hoping for some more.
My EEs are about 2 years old. One has had a swollen hard chest for the past 4 months. On fb, I was told to massage it, that itll go down, but it's only gotten bigger and harder?
Is there anything more I can do for her?
She's not acting weird or anything.
Thank you!
20180601_185139.jpg

Also...don't pick on their hen house, it'll be upgraded soon! Lol

She may have a condition called pendulous crop. This is a result of the chest muscles being in poor tone so the crop isn't supported adequately.

The consequences are a crop that never completely empties. But you need to confirm this diagnosis by doing several things.

The most important thing is to check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats anything or drinks. If it's not completely flat, then you have a crop disorder to deal with.

Next, smell her head. If there's an odor similar to sauerkraut, you are dealing with a yeast infection that needs to be treated.

If you don't smell any sour odor, you and your hen are very lucky. But it may be impacted. The correct method of massage is to support the lower part of the crop while gently massaging the middle part, avoiding the upper part which could cause liquid to go into her airway and choke her or worse.

If you don't feel the contents break up and empty out, you may need to introduce some oil into the crop. Coconut oil is the best. Use the solid form and see if she'll eat about one teaspoon full. If she refuses, break off small bits and stuff them into her beak. It's a lot easier than trying to syringe liquid oil which usually ends up all over you and the chicken if not down the airway.

Read my article on crop disorders and how to treat them. She may need a crop bra to control this disorder. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She may have a condition called pendulous crop. This is a result of the chest muscles being in poor tone so the crop isn't supported adequately.

The consequences are a crop that never completely empties. But you need to confirm this diagnosis by doing several things.

The most important thing is to check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats anything or drinks. If it's not completely flat, then you have a crop disorder to deal with.

Next, smell her head. If there's an odor similar to sauerkraut, you are dealing with a yeast infection that needs to be treated.

If you don't smell any sour odor, you and your hen are very lucky. But it may be impacted. The correct method of massage is to support the lower part of the crop while gently massaging the middle part, avoiding the upper part which could cause liquid to go into her airway and choke her or worse.

If you don't feel the contents break up and empty out, you may need to introduce some oil into the crop. Coconut oil is the best. Use the solid form and see if she'll eat about one teaspoon full. If she refuses, break off small bits and stuff them into her beak. It's a lot easier than trying to syringe liquid oil which usually ends up all over you and the chicken if not down the airway.

Read my article on crop disorders and how to treat them. She may need a crop bra to control this disorder. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Wow! Thanks so much for all the info! I read through the link, and luckily I have plenty of coconut oil! I'll treat for the impacted crop, if it persists I'll figure out how to make a crop bra for her!
Thank you so much! ♡

I have a 2 year old Serama hen that gets a big, hard crop too. I thought she was impacted, but the next morning, I felt it before feeding her, and it was empty! I think some chickens may really stuff themselves? I don't know, since I'm new to chickens. She has no symptoms that are listed above. But boy, that crop can get huge, and along with that bulbous Serama breast, it alarmed me at first.

Back
Top Bottom